Menu
keneee
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

DANGER - EMERGENCY SERVICES CALLS BARRED BY VIRGIN -

Last Saturday my wife and I discovered that we were unable to contact emergency services from our phones... We were trying to call the police because of an obstruction in the road and not because we desperately needed an ambulance... The implications of this are horrendous and we wish to warn other virgin users who may think that they have a lifeline to the emergency services when in fact they might not! I am hoping that this is a monumental cockup on Virgin's part that only relates to our account and is not something that will have fatal consequences for someone else.

Summarised details below: 

On the Saturday 23/07/16 at 12.50 and 12.50 and 12.51 and 12.51 and 12.53 and 12.54 and 12.55 and 12.55 and 12.56 and 12.56 and 12.57 and 12.57 I tried to call 999 to report debris in a busy road that was likely to cause and accident…. At 12.57 I also tried to call 112. I COULD NOT GET THROUGH AND THE CALLS ENDED IMMEDIATELY

I tried my wife’s phone, which is on the same account, at 12.59 – dialled 999 then dialled 112 and then at 13.00 dialled 112…. I COULD NOT GET THROUGH AND THE CALLS ENDED IMMEDIATELY

In the meantime I phoned Virgin 789 in order to see why we could not send EMERGENCY PHONE CALLS…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 15 minutes I was told that a block had been put on premium numbers (apparently emergency numbers are included here!!!) and that theoretically it had been removed and that we should now be able to make emergency calls… but that it could take anywhere between 15 minutes and 24 hours. I strongly urged that the customer service representative got in contact with the person most in charge so that they could phone me back and explain why someone somewhere has taken a decision to block EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS FROM OUR ACCOUNT. At this point I also flagged down a passing police car and told them of the situation. 

This has been followed by 2 phone calls to Virgin on the same day explaining the situation and getting the situation passed up the ladder.

A visit to a Virgin Shop on Sunday.

A phone call on the Monday. The representative was helpful and said that he would escalate the complaint.

A phone call on Tuesday. A phone call to OFCOM on Tuesday.

On Weds I got a missed call (94 hours after the initial complaint) no one left a message and the answer machine assured me that someone would try again... 11 hours later they have yet to do so.

I can only hope that this situation is isolated and no one gets injured or worse because of the Negligent or Reckless Endangerment instituted by Virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: DANGER - EMERGENCY SERVICES CALLS BARRED BY VIRGIN -

Hi keneee,

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to call through to any emergency service. I certainly appreciate how seriously concerning this is, especially as Virgin Mobile do not bar emergency numbers.

Premium number call barring should not stop you from calling 999 as calls to this number are not routed the same way that all other numbers are routed on the network. You should be able to call 999 even if there is no SIM card in your phone handset.

I'd like to look into this further, but I will need to take more details from you. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the purple envelope at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
imogene
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's a myth that you can dial 999 with no SIM. The phone says emergency calls only, but 999 doesn't work. It was not enabled in the UK due to volume of hoax calls...

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Teaching-resources/Quick-activities/999
jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hi keneee as far as i know where i live the emergency services were having difficultys contacting them that was fire service in united kingdom their control room posted a message saying it was having problems but that might not be your case where you live every 999 calls are tottally free on mobile and home phone all providers say you should be able to contact emergency services from jonni 999 calls are free with no charge
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Terri, sad to say you are 100% incorrect about the no sim and can call 999. It was changed as the amount of crank calls went up.

To confirm, you DO need a SIM card to make an emergency call in the UK. I hope that helps

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry folks, but you can make 999 calls without a SIM. I've tested this myself so can confirm that it does indeed work.

Hope this helps.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos