Menu
Lesleydn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Customer Service refused to give me my PAC code

Ive been a Virgin Mobile for ten + years on a 30 day Sim only contract.  A few months ago i telephoned to give notice required to cancel my contract. A couple of days before my account was due to close I contacted Virgin for my PAC code  - long story short , I was talked out of leaving Virgin Mobile due to their suggestion that I move to a PAYG  account and pay by voucher rather than   direct debit as  i had explained  i was cancelling as my financial problems meant I could no longer able to  pay by DD.  This was the start of my ongoing nightmare with their customer service. Since  this  time Ive made several  calls  at a time when I'm least  capable of dealing with it due my ill health and ongoing  stays in hospital. I've tried to do the right thing by cancelling my 30 day contract and paying it up to date. Ive explained the situation each time I call and have asked for their help each time but nothing changes.  I contacted them again today to request my PAC code for the second time and was told it cannot be issued as my account has been suspended and I owe £60.00 which has to be settled before they release  PAC code. . How can I owe £60.00 when I have requested months ago in multiple  phone conversations  to be transferred to PAYG? I haven't used the phone for several weeks , it was suspended within two days of giving them my last voucher though i had hardly used any minutes . I refuse to pay for a service i have cancelled and that i have not used. Same as last time , it's been left that a Manager will contact me tommorow.  Sorry for long post but I am literally at my wits end trying to deal with these people and would greatly appreciate any advice.  If I'm to stand any chance of getting back on my feet in the future work wise,  I need to keep my Virgin  number as Im self employed and its what my customers have and also my yellow pages advert. 
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
hevad
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Customer Service refused to give me my PAC code

Sorry to hear about your ill health - hope things get better for you.

Technically, you are legally entitled to transfer to another network  - see the Ofcom's General conditions of entitlement May 2015 - Clause 18. VM should provide you with your code within 2 hours of your request. There are some situations where they may not provide you with your PAC - if it has already been issued, if the account has already been closed or if there has been a failed security checked. The thing is you must be told the reason why you cant be issued with your PAC. It seems that someone may not be playing to the rules here.

Also, a provider cannot refuse to issue a PAC if there are any outstanding charges to pay. These should be included in any final bills that occur after the post has taken place and settled in accordance to the contract.

It might be worth contacting them again. Stress your legal rights and their obligations. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lesleydn wrote:
...I called back myself and was subjected to a rehash of why my PAC code would not be released ( outstanding bill)...

Even if you hadn't settled the bill, Virgin have no right to withhold the PAC

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/refuse_PAC

All Replies
jenni3487
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Are you speaking to regular customer services? Did they change you from pay monthly to pay as you go or sim only deal? There is a difference. Do you have proof that it was changed or cancelled? Like an email or letter. It could just be a mistake and its a cross over or someone might have done something shady it depends what they put you on.
hevad
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry to hear about your ill health - hope things get better for you.

Technically, you are legally entitled to transfer to another network  - see the Ofcom's General conditions of entitlement May 2015 - Clause 18. VM should provide you with your code within 2 hours of your request. There are some situations where they may not provide you with your PAC - if it has already been issued, if the account has already been closed or if there has been a failed security checked. The thing is you must be told the reason why you cant be issued with your PAC. It seems that someone may not be playing to the rules here.

Also, a provider cannot refuse to issue a PAC if there are any outstanding charges to pay. These should be included in any final bills that occur after the post has taken place and settled in accordance to the contract.

It might be worth contacting them again. Stress your legal rights and their obligations. 

Lesleydn
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply . I'm will try customer service again tommorow but at the same time I have so little faith in their customer service via phone that I'm also going to put it in writing to them. I've been a loyal customer of Virgin for well over ten years using all there services , bills paid on time etc. I'm sickened by the way I've been treated by this company at a time when I least need this hassle. I've tried to do the right thing and been point blank ignored. It feels like I'm being blackmailed to pay for services which I have cancelled and have not used. Unethical to say the least :-(
0 Kudos
Lesleydn
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update : the promised call back at 8pm came at 6pm and I missed it. I called back myself and was subjected to a rehash of why my PAC code would not be released ( outstanding bill) and it took some time to persuade the operative that this discussion had already taken place and what I wanted was to speak to a manager to escalate the complaint as agreed yesterday. The operative agreed to transfer me but after a wait of ten minutes I was cut off. I had hoped to get a call as promised at 8pm but as its now 8.45 it seems unlikely and looks like I will have to try yet again as otherwise it's yet more delay. I recognise this is boring additional detail upon this issue - but seems like this as as good a place as any to log and track my progress with this issue as I'm determined to take it all the way to independent arbitration if required, although I'd be so much happier if SOMEBODY from Virgin would just step in and take ownership of this issue and see it through.
0 Kudos
jenni3487
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That's not right. If you ring again demand to speak to a manager straight away, don't take no as an answer and don't let them make you wait for them to ring you, there will be a manager either in the room or an office close by the call centre staff are not managing themselves. Be firm and don't let them bully you or persuade you into something you don't want and above all demand that they fix everything there and then (seriously all the got to do is press a few buttons) but if you do run into problems then threaten to escalate it with the complaints ombudsman you shouldn't have to do anything more than that because they wont want it to go that far as they know they will loose. One last tip always ask for the person you are speaking to name whenever you ring up any call centre for any reason, always ask at the beginning of the call before you tell them why you are ringing and make a note of it, that way if you have to ring back you can ask for the same person or if you're speaking to someone else you can say whatever there name said such and such, you can also give the names to the manager or higher-ups if you have to complain. In my experience I find people are more likely to want to help of you know their name and use it in the conversation, I ask for it at the very beginning during the "friendly" introduction before they have a chance to be suspicious about why you want to know. Hope this is some help to you and it all get sorted out soon.
0 Kudos
Lesleydn
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Fingers crossed - I'm reaching a resolution after a lengthy conversation with a senior manager who seemed to accept my side of the story and acknowledge that my instructions had not been acted upon. He has promised to start the process of releasing my PAC code and to call me back on Wednesday to update me. My thanks to members for their advice - it helped a lot.
0 Kudos
Lesleydn
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well , sadly , the promised call back today between 4pm and 6pm from Greg, who introduced himself as a senior manager in the Phillipines customer service department didnt occur. The phone call I made on Sunday that ultimately led me to Greg and his promised call back took 105 mins ( honest , but most of waiting time ) at my expense. I did actually believe he was going to call me back today. I called back myself around 7pm , yes I will transfer you to the right department and got cut off with a message ' please call back tommorow at 8am' . I called again , and after a several minutes was told the department I needed is now closed , please call back tommorow. How anybody can call this customer service is beyond belief.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lesleydn wrote:
...I called back myself and was subjected to a rehash of why my PAC code would not be released ( outstanding bill)...

Even if you hadn't settled the bill, Virgin have no right to withhold the PAC

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/refuse_PAC

Lesleydn
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Try telling Virgin that - I have even quoted the appropriate regulations to them but it falls on deaf ears. When I ask 'give me the reason for refusing my PAC Code they reply , " I am not refusing it Mss Lesley ' great says I , then please give it to me ' I cannot the system will not allow' and so it goes on , and on. The crazy thing is i have gained no benefit - not one used minute or text that has not been paid for and Im suffering due to this ongoing outright refusal to honour my initial and repeated request to terminate a 30 day rolling contract and change it to PAYG.