Menu
clogman
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Credit Check fail?... with near perfect Credit Score on Equifax? Wot?

I don't seem to be the only one with this, but am hoping for someone to come and rescue me from getting very frustrated with my first attempt at giving Virgin Mobile my hard earned cash.

I've been with O2 for the past century and have always paid very high monthly bills. Thought I'd try Virgin Mobile £7 SIM only contract for a change. Despite having a near perfect credit score with Equifax (yes I checked it out online and all fields are green due to 'Excellent' ratings across the board), I have now spent several hours talking to call centre staff who offer no help other than saying that they cannot find any address information for me??? They tell me that they will call back in 3-5 days....NOT! I have even talked them through my address line by line, letter by letter, whilst having the online Equifax file open in another window. What is going on here? I can get mortgages, loans, expensive car leases, but I cant get a friggin' £7/month contract with Virgin Mobile? And oh yes, I keep getting bombarded with Virgin Broadband and TV junk mail. They on the other hand must be super keen to get me onboard.

Krystal or anyone else at VM who knows their stuff, please come and sort this out! Thanks.

Tags (2)
Slamber
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Credit Check fail?... with near perfect Credit Score on Equifax? Wot?

Just a thought.  Have you moved recently as you may not be on the electoral roll.  This is a big reason why companies refuse credit and this involves mobile phone contracts. 

Your credit report includes information about where you are registered to vote – in order to combat fraud, this information is used to help confirm your name and address.

Not registering to vote, being registered to vote at an old address, or adding the wrong details on the Electoral Register can mean you’re refused credit.

0 Kudos
ogri
Tuning in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Same for me as it happens. Just give someone else your hard earned money, it'll be a lot less hassle!
Ignorance is bliss
0 Kudos
clogman
Joining in
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Slamber. I know about the importance of the electoral roll section. I had it updated indeed as it was not reflecting my 10+ years at my current address. All sorted but still no joy :-(

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Krystal_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi clogman,

Thanks for checking the address and electoral roll details through Equifax. I can appreciate this is frustrating and we want to see you become a customer.

We're unable to pass data protection on the forums to look into your account in more detail but please give our team a call on 789 where we'll be able to pass this onto our Credit team to review. 

This will take up to 5 working days to review and a note will be left on the account advising of their decision after looking into all of your details, including your address. If you don't hear back in this time, our team on 789 will be able to check it's progress and let you know what's going on.

Thanks for your time and patience on this, it's much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
AjH100
Just joined
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just joined here and am in the same boat, Equifax rating 100%, hours on the phone getting nowhere, into a branch, no joy, appeal sent in ... a week later, no joy "computer says no..."

I was told the only option was to write a complaint letter, which has just been posted.

I have been a customer with Virgin for over 20 years and have had a number of contracts with them including a mobile one which was closed in Jan 2011... I was told by one of the call centre staff that they could see payments on the old account taken after the account was closed and assured me they would be removed..... no joy.

What a way to treat your customers. I need this resolved, my wife already has a SIM only deal and I was going to set up the rest of the family..

Thanks

VMatta
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I wanted to get a pay monthly sim with Virgin Media and retain my current number. As a result of that I availed the PAC code from my provider as advised on the site and gave a call on 08456000789 on 6th Dec 2013.

When I called I was advised to talk to the sales team. While talking to sales team I provided all the necessary details required and I was told that a credit check will be done as it is required. I willingly agreed to that but unfortunately they weren't able to find the link of the address provided by me to my bank account. I have been living at this pace from past one year and I receive all my correspondence from the bank at this address and still they weren't able to link it to the address provided. I made two of my friends agree to buy a monthly sim on my behalf but unfortunately same issue occurred for them also. Clearly there is some issue with the app being used to find the link at their end.

I was then advised to buy a pay as you go sim from Virgin telling me that if I do that it will be a lot easier to avail the monthly sim deal which I want as a bundle would be added. I did as I was advised. Now today on 10th Dec when I called Virgin media again, I was made to go through the same procedure again and the result was still the same. For my credit check they weren't able to link the address to my bank account. Then they advised me to call a number 08000520290. It connected me to underwriting department and they said they had no idea why I was asked to call them and I should call sales department which in the first place gave me this number.

I really don't think this is very professional of the Virgin Media team to harass the potential customers like this. I bought the pay as you go sim also only because I was told that doing that will enable me get a deal with Virgin which I wanted and now I am being told that it is not possible. It is really not about the money here but the time I invested and not being told the right thing. If I would have been told at the first instance itself it would have saved me a lot of time and hassle.

0 Kudos
marlo
Settling in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

As well as many others I am today with the same problem and I have thought to my self there must be something not right here, how can I have approved loan to by a car and to chenge suppliers without any problems and Virgin Media is going to failed my credit check when I just checked with Equifax and Experian confirming a very good credit.

Sorry but the only conclusion I have after seen all this comments is that:

1. Virgin Media is using a very unreliable credit check system (hard to believe) 

2. They want to give this offer only to very selective customer that either have long time with them or the new customer has very good earnings.

I have have given up believing that Virgin media is going for just a good credit record.

What a shame.

If Virgin Media whats to gain customers this is not the correct way.

thebarfly
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

There are many reasons why a person can fail a credit check with a company, and the online credit scores given by the credit reference agencies to the general public are only a generalised indication of the ability to obtain credit.

Each company will set it's own credit scoring policy and threshold.  The ability of a person to meet this is generally decided on the following criteria:

1. Any CCJ, IVA, DRO or Bankruptcy within past 6 years
  2. Fraud indicators from CIFAS
  3. Number of defaults and the time elapsed since default occurred
  4. Number of recent credit searches by other companies
  5. Number of current credit accounts
  6. Payment history of current credit accounts
  7. Balances on current credit accounts
  8. Time at current address and number of change of address over past 6 years
  9. Residential status
  10. Employment status, employment position and time in employment
  11. Earnings
  12. Marital status and number of dependants
  13. Existing relationship with the company

A company does not have to give you a reason why you have failed to meet their credit score except for information received from a credit reference agency.  In this case they have to give you the contact details of the credit reference agency or agencies used.  Most companies use on or all of the 3 major agencies - Experian, Equifax and Call Credit.  It is not unheard of for one of these agencies to have differing information to that held by others, and is worthwhile obtaining your credit file from all 3.

0 Kudos
jessyred
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

hi I am having this same problem my score is great and somehow it failed i spend 2 hours on the phone last night and got nowhere i was told to buy a pay as you go and now i give them the number they told me on the phone they will sort it out and after asking me if it was ok to call me back i did not get the call back and in the evening when i call back they have record of the call Virgin make to me but no note....I am shock to find out i am not the only one that try to get their sim only contract and somehow fail, do they really want new customer i wonder.

i wrote an email 2 days a go and one last night....but no reply!

please help!!

0 Kudos