Menu
SHG
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Credit Check Failure

My mobile contract was due to end recently.  I contacted Virgin Media and decided on my new package and phone.  A credit check was carried out which I was told I failed.  The assistant could see nothing wrong with my payment history.  She said she would escalate the matter to a manager and would get back to me in 3 to 5 days.  10 days later I phoned again.  It was suggested that I contact Virgin Consumer Underwriting Services and I was told that Virgin used Equifax.  I signed up to Equifax and my credit rating came back as Excellent.  I wrote to the Underwriting Services asking why I had been refused a new contract when my credit rating was excellent and I had never had any payment issues with Virgin or with any other company.  I received a reply which said ".......... it's necessary for us to carry out some checks, including a credit check.  At Virgin Mobile, we use an automated credit scoring system.  This includes looking at our own information, the information you  have given us and information held by our credit reference agency, Equifax.  We use this information to help us make responsible lending decisions.  We have reviewed your application, we're sorry to say that, following these checks, we're unable to offer you a Pay Monthly contract right now and this is our final decision." 

I cannot understand how I can possibly have failed a credit check.  I have been paying approximately £10 a month for my Blackberry and my new contract for a Samsung Galaxy S111 was going to be for the same amount so would hardly seem to call for irresponsible lending on Virgin's part!

What should I do now?  I am anxious in case some error by Virgin will leave me with a black mark on my credit rating.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Credit Check Failure

Welcome to the Forum.

To get you started look at the whole of this thread.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Manage-Your-Account-Mobile/Consumer-Underwriting-services/td-p/2...

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
SHG
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I have looked at the rest of the thread which shows that other people are having the same problem.  How to resolve it though?  Surely CUS should give a detailed explanation of why the credit check failed?

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if computer says no they wont go any further.

Used to work for virgin so had to deal with them regurly no help.

its sad but youll pass no issue anywhere else so atleast its something

0 Kudos
SHG
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That really is a pain isn't it.  Can't they do a manual check?  I shall write again to CUS just to get it out of my system!!!  Feel I should close down broadband and landline too but it's such an effort!!  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We used to have a form instore for if people failed and they shouldnt but honestly 9 times out of 10 we didnt hear back not even a yes or no just nothing

Ive heard of plenty of long term customers being refused lately never had that when i worked there so ive no idea whats going on but it just seems daft.

Like I said not ideal but youll easily pass everywhere else Ive found lately the virgin media bonuses for having mobile make things just the same if not worse than other company normal deals.

what mobile were you considering?

0 Kudos
SHG
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My current phone is a Blackberry Curve and I pay around £10 a month.  I was going to swap to a Samsung Galaxy S111 because my daughter has one and I thought it would be useful to have her as IT support!!!!!  The monthly cost was going to be £10, which makes Virgin's "responsible lending" comment so insane.

0 Kudos
fan_wang_fujian
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

is this problem resolved? they also fail me - they could not find my address from their system - the address and the building has been there since 1890s'
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi fan_wang_fujian,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.

It appears you've posted here also which I have responded to for you.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos