Menu
krt951
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could not use mobile data abroad , Europe mostly, June 2015

Prior to going on a cruise I set Roaming to "on" in Manage my services, ( why can't you do this on My account app)

In the second week I used a text message to get a travel pass, which was confirmed. Despite powering on the phone at each port and getting the welcome message and a roaming signal indicator on the signal strength meter, I could not access mobile data, with error message , "No network connection, No signal found for mobile networks"

Using the mobile help number on the text message +44 7494 967202, I could call the number repeatedly and get through to automated system to change voicemail settings ? , or diverted to a line which went dead.

Calls over several days  to +447953967967, repeatedly, lines are busy , try later.

Never got access, Italy, France,Spain

Back in the UK at Gatwick mobile data back. of course.

(Samsung K zoom phone , network mode set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM, auto connect, tried GSM only as well.) Data roaming switched on,mobile data on.

Customer Services refunding travel pass and says going abroad again should be OK or call the helpline if it happens again.

So what more could I do or have confidence next time will be any better ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Vidda
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Could not use mobile data abroad , Europe mostly, June 2015

So... third time lucky.  What I did was change the "Access Point" in "Settings" from EE to Virgin and it worked.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Krt951,

Sorry to hear you couldn't use your mobile data pass whilst abroad. I'd like to help you get this sorted.

You've pretty much covered off the basics of setting your phone up for data roaming.

I've included a link here to our help pages regarding data roaming. 

There's a few steps you can try if the phone fails to data roam whilst abroad.

Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.

Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on 

I've also included a link here to a 3rd party site showing how to set up roaming on your phone. 

Hope this helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Vidda
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is the third and last time this has happened to me - in three different countries.  It will be quicker to change mobile phone provider.

0 Kudos
Vidda
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So... third time lucky.  What I did was change the "Access Point" in "Settings" from EE to Virgin and it worked.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vidda,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm really pleased to hear you've managed to solve the issue by changing the APN settings.

That will be the end of your problems now.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
jan91
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have a similar problem, as I am in France now. I have bought the 50 MB package and all was working, after that I have bought 250 MB and I cannot use the data ... It does not work ... Smiley Sad Hope if it does not still work, the Virgin will refund the 20 pounds, but what could be the problem? It seems that the settings are ok since the 50 MB package was working all ok...

Smiley Sad

Thanks

Jan

0 Kudos
jan91
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys it is sorted... for some reason the mobile data roaming was off , so I turned it on again and it is working Smiley Happy

Jan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jan91,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you had problems using the data passSmiley Sad but I'm really pleased to hear you got it sortedSmiley Happy

We are here for you in the future if you need us.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos