Menu
JoelF
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Costs of contact with my son's virgin mobile abroad

My whole family is on Virgin mobile pay monthly by direct debit.

My son is currently in Germany, while I am still in the UK.

How much does it cost for me to (a) phone my son's virgin mobile from my virgin mobile (b) text my son's virgin mobile from my virgin mobile?

I have called 789 a couple of times to ask, but I don't quite believe the answers I was given, and they do not match what is showing so far on my online bill., However I suppose that the bill may update later after a while, since it takes a while for overseas charges to be finalised.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Costs of contact with my son's virgin mobile abroad

Hi JoelF

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry for the confusion around the cost of contacting your son while he's away.

To offer further reassurance, I can confirm that when calling or texting any person with a UK based mobile phone while they're away will cost exactly the same for you as it would if they were in the UK.

The reason for this is that the caller wouldn't necessarily know the person was abroad, so it would be unfair for them to pick up the extra charge.

It's for this reason that it sometimes costs to receive calls when you're abroad (It's currently free for Virgin Mobile customers to receive calls when roaming in Europe).

Obviously if you were calling your son on a German number (such as if they were using a German network SIM or a landline in Germany) the costs would be significantly more (dependent on your tariff).

I hope this clears things up for you.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi JoelF

Thanks for your reply.

Once again I'm sorry to hear that the information given on the telephone was incorrect.

It can be a confusing matter when we're talking about calling another country from inside or indeed outside your home country when the person you're calling is abroad using a phone that is from the UK or indeed based in the country you're visiting and I think this thread is testament to that in a way!

I'm glad we've got things cleared up though Smiley Happy

I don't think this information is included on the help pages, but the fact is we couldn't charge you more to call a UK based mobile if they happened to be roaming as this wouldn't be fair.

No matter which UK network you, or the other person is on, it will always cost you the same to call or text them on their UK number no matter where they are in the world. If you're roaming though, you may pay extra to use the phone which can include receiving calls (outside the EU) and you can get full details of the extra costs for using the phone in the country you're visiting here.

Give us a shout if there's anything else we can help out with Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Phoning/texting from the UK to a UK mobile overseas will be charged/come out of allowances as normal :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi JoelF

I understood that if you are in the UK calling another UK mobile abroad the charges would be just the same for you and included in any bundled minutes that you have.

Have you been charged extra for calling your son on his UK Virgin Mobile phone.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The calls or SMS messages should be charged at the same rates applicable to calling/texting any UK mobile from your phone when it's in the UK. Put another way the cost is the same as if your son's phone was still in the UK. So free if you have inclusive minutes and texts to use. Unless maybe your son is using a German SIM?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

3 answers in 3 minutes, we're on the ball today. lol

BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
JoelF
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That is what I expected, but both the guys I spoke to at 789 and their manager insisted it would cost me 90p per minute, so I don't dare do it!

0 Kudos
JoelF
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As with the phone calls (discussed above), all the advisors at 789 and their manager insisted it would cost me as if it was an international text.

I told them that I thought their answers were wrong, but they checked and insisted they had it right.

Some official documentation on this would be helpful.

I have risked sending him some texts and, at least so far, they are showing as free. But I don't dare send too many until I am sure, because it could be 60 pence per text otherwise!

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

90p is the cost of phoning a international number, you will be phoning/texting a normal UK number.

Rules are, that if you phone/text a UK mobile you can only be charged normal rates wherever that mobile maybe in the world.

0 Kudos
JoelF
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming what I think. But the guys at 789 insisted otherwise even though I said they couldn't be right.

There should be clear guidance on the Virgin media web pages explaining this ... and their customer services people need to know the correct information too.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Same advice given by CS in this thread

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Phone/landline-to-mobile-abroad/m-p/3141016#M81341

Maybe just trying to frighten customers from calling as it costs VM more?

0 Kudos