Menu
ek7
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Contract ended 2 years ago but still paying same price??

My contract ended 2 years ago and still paying same price as I did when paying for phone deal.  I noticed if I now decide to take a new contract, that after 2 years, the price drops and your are only paying for the data part.  Why has my price not been reduced, and why no contact from Virgin Media to offer me a new contract.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract ended 2 years ago but still paying same price??

Many of the new contracts split the payments into two.

One part pays for the subsidised phone, the second for the call package.

Old contracts did not do this so you pay the same. This was the same for all companies up to a few years ago. Many still work this way.

You will have to change contracts or move to SIM only if you want to keep your phone.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract ended 2 years ago but still paying same price??

ek7 wrote:

My contract ended 2 years ago and still paying same price as I did when paying for phone deal.  I noticed if I now decide to take a new contract, that after 2 years, the price drops and your are only paying for the data part.  Why has my price not been reduced, and why no contact from Virgin Media to offer me a new contract.

The two years is a minimum term. At the end of it, the only thing that changes is that you go onto a rolling monthly contract, which makes sense because you are no longer bound by a minimum term.

If you want to reduce your outgoings, you have to renegotiate after the minimum term. Typically this involves switching to a SIM-only tariff, so you keep the phone, SIM and number; you just pay less. This is pretty much standard across all mobile carriers where a handset is included in the deal.

Virgin have a subset of handsets which are available through an unusual type of contract. You pay in two parts, and the handset part ends automatically when the minimum term is up. It's not that different from a regular contract: You're still bound by the minimum term for the SIM part, as far as I can tell. This means you can't, for example, get a handset from Virgin that you pay off for two years, and switch over to a different carrier after a month or two.

0 Kudos