Menu
kstacey1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Contacts not being picked up when receiving texts

I always seem to get this problem when I return from a holiday abroad. When I receive a text message the number is prefixed by +44 and so the contact details are not being picked up. Any ideas?

On a separate topic why do I have multiple entries for certain contact names in my contacts list? Is it something to do with people who are on Whatsapp?

My phone is a ZTE Blade III.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contacts not being picked up when receiving texts

Hi kstacey1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm very sorry to hear your text messages are not showing as a listed contact.

I've never come across this scenario before. It's obviously something to do with your phone being connected to a network abroad.

Do you have existing conversations that haven't been deleted?

Have you restarted the handset since being back in the UK?

Your separate topic does appear to be Whatsapp as I've experienced this before. You can also get multiple contacts if you've stored the numbers to the handset and SIM card at the same time.

I remember when this happened the Whatsapp symbol appeared in the contacts list. Does this happen to you? It could also be because you have the above problem as one could show as 07xxx and the same person stored as +44xxx.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
kstacey1
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich

Thanks for your reply.

I've restarted the phone several times since I've been home. I have existing conversations that haven't been deleted. I've tried doing a network search for all available networks but it takes a while and always comes back with the message 'Error while searching for networks'.

In my contacts list anyone who is signed up to WhatsApp has an entry showing their +44 number. However, my wife who isn't on WhatsApp and for whom there is only one phone number (without the +44 bit) is still showing as the +44 number when she texts me (and hence her contact name is not being picked up).

I've sort of managed to get rid of most of the duplicates in my contacts list by displaying SIM card contacts only (I don't have any saved on the phone) and unticking all the Google contacts.

I can live with the duplicate contacts problem but the contact names not being picked up is a real hassle as it's difficult to know who is contacting me.

Keith

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kstacey1

At a Guess, I would say that because you have disabled Google contacts on a system run by Google my have something to do with your problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
kstacey1
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Teabag but the contacts problem was there before I started fiddling with Google contacts, etc. That only helped with the duplicate contacts problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keith,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Is this happening with all contacts?

Do you remember what you did to solve this before?

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
kstacey1
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Rich

Not happening with all contacts and for the life of me I can't remember how it got resolved before. I have a feeling things just righted themselves eventually but I'm still unaware of the cause of the problem.

Any idea why network search isn't working on my phone? When you say 'It's obviously something to do with your phone being connected to a network abroad' is there any way I can check this?

Keith

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keith,

I should have made myself clearer. When I said it's obviously something to do with connecting abroad I was just basing that on the fact this has happened many times to you when you've come back from travelling. The reason for this I'm not entirely sure.

If you can't do a manual search it's likely you're not getting a good signal to the SIM card. I recommend taking this out and giving it a quick wipe down.

I've asked for a second opinion regarding this they also seem stumped. They've recommended the above. If this fails it may be worth checking if ZTE have a forum to see if there are any more suggestions on there.

I'd be keen to hear the outcome so please keep me posted.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos