Menu
BNIC
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Contacting CISAS as Virgin wont unlock my iphone

Has anyone any advice about how long a CISAS claim takes?

Bought iphone from carphone warehouse and it locked to EE (with virgin SIM) The SIM was placed in the phone by the Virgin store when I went in there to get a new SIM for it. The assistant was fully aware that we had bought it from carphone warehouse and that we had a rolling 30 day contract so that we could swap if needed.

We are now in the position that we are trying to move all our services to BT having been lied to about numerous issues by the retentions staff but I will have a BT SIM with no phone to put it in.

I have been passed from pillar to post by Virgin- first they told me to contact Apple who obviously bounced me back to Virgin and despite another 30 minute phone 'conversation' I am still waiting 1 1/2 hours later for a call back from a manager that 'will be within the hour'!

I therefore have no option but to take it through CISAS so does anyone have any experience of doing so? Any advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contacting CISAS as Virgin wont unlock my iphone

Hi BNIC,

this post may be of interest to you: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/problems-with-unlocking-my-Iphone-6S/m-p/3069434#M...

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My problem here is that the phone is not locked to the Virgin Network.  It's locked to the EE network.

Now because Virgin uses the EE-Network to deliver it's mobile services, it's possible that the phone will work with a Virgin sim in it.  But if you want to use it with a network other then EE, then EE have to unlock it.

I did read the other post, and I actually think CISAS may have misunderstood what network the phone was locked to.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BT and EE are one and the same, so if it's locked to EE the BT sim should just work

0 Kudos
BNIC
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Mine is the same - I rang EE today on a freephone number (Googled it but didn't make a note-sorry).

Spoke to a real person who has taken £8.99 and promised it will be unlocked by 4pm tomorrow. Yet to see if it works but its a big step up from Virgin who wont even try! And their unlock is £15+.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Pleased to hear your on the way to a decent service. I never mentioned but before you can escalate beyond virgin you have to have exhausted their complaint procedure, that would test the language skills of a saint, obtain a deadlock letter and proceeds from there, despite virgin not meeting is own deadlines for complaint completion of 28days from first receipt
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:
Pleased to hear your on the way to a decent service. I never mentioned but before you can escalate beyond virgin you have to have exhausted their complaint procedure, that would test the language skills of a saint, obtain a deadlock letter and proceeds from there, despite virgin not meeting is own deadlines for complaint completion of 28days from first receipt

Actually, - If Virgin can't resolve a dispute after 8 weeks then no deadlock letter is needed, a deadlock letter if Virgin decide before the 8 weeks is up that they cannot resolve a complaint.

These guidelines are not Virgin Media's they are CISAS' - https://www.cedr.com/cisas/frequently-asked-questions/

However I would point out again that the phone was not obtained from Virgin, it was obtained by Carphone warehouse and locked to the EE network.  Which is why the OP should have gone to EE in the first place.  It wasn't that Virgin wouldn't unlock the phone.  It was that they couldn't.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your right, sorry I missed that: (
0 Kudos
BNIC
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update:

My son is now extremely happy - phone unlocked by 4pm today as promised by EE and new BT contract up and running.

No thanks to Virgin.

Incidentally I am also happy with all our Virgin services now cancelled - phone, mobiles & broadband (after 10 years)

Still waiting a response from the CEO- apparently Tom isn't able to deal with my email at the moment but one of his team will look into it. My understanding of treating customers fairly (TCF) which should probably be used by Virgin due to the financial nature of their contracts, is that a timescale for resolution/response should be provided along with a copy of the complaints procedure within 48 hours. I've heard nothing!!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good luck I think you'll have less issues there
0 Kudos