Menu
WalterFraser
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Connection to phone and text service

I'm four days into my holiday in Madeira and have been unable to text or phone anyone. The signal reading appears blank yet I've been able to access emails and Facebook. How can I get phone and text to work?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection to phone and text service

Hi WalterFraser,

Welcome to the Community Forum. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you and sorry to hear you're experiencing issues while roaming in Madeira.

Please check that roaming is active when you log into Your Account:

• Click on plan and device
  • Click the tab manage services

Make sure roaming is set to on here. If it isn't move the slider to on and click update. This will present you with a green success message. It may take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

You can also check the call barring option to stop calls abroad isn't set to on.

You could also try the following steps if roaming is on:

• Turn your phone off and then back on again
  • Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.
  • Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network

If after these steps you are still experiencing difficulties give our mobile team a call on +44345 600 789 from a roaming handset or land line so we can take a further look into this for you.

Let me know how it goes. Hope you have a lovely holiday! 

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
WalterFraser
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Terri.
Unfortunately, when I try to log into my account, my correct blueyonder email address gets marked as x, ie.incorrect.
I've already been into my phone settings, turned on international roaming and tried to connect to the various local networks without success. The only thing left to try is removing the battery. I'll give it a go.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi WalterFraser,

I'm checking back with you to see if you have had any success connecting to phone and sms service on your mobile abroad.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
WalterFraser
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri!

I was unable to try the battery removal recommendation as I was reluctant to risk damaging my phone and its casing when abroad and thereby risk losing all contact with people. I persevered with Facebook and e-mail but may have missed important text messages that never came through while I was away nor have came through as yet. 

My brother-in-law told me that he has had the same problem with a Virgin mobile connection while abroad in other parts of the world. Sometimes it eventually connected to a network but on one occasion, like me, he had no network for the entire holiday.

Seems it's a problem in more than one place.

Best wishes

Walter

Walter

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Walter,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry that you are still unable to roam while abroad.

I've been able to check this further for you and it looks like you haven't activated roaming. Your blueyonder email address is working fine for your Virgin Mobile login (if this is the same blueyonder email address that you use for this Forum, as this is the one that I checked).

I can look into this further for you, but will need to take more details from you. I'll send you a private message for this, so just check the purple envelope at the top right of this screen.

Speak soon,

0 Kudos