Menu
Mairi_R
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connecting to eduroam - new Windows phone

I am very disappointed to find I cannot connect to eduroam WiFi with my new Windows phone.  Anyone else had the same issues..?  If so, is there any way of getting round this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting to eduroam - new Windows phone

Hi Mairi_R

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing at the moment.

I've been able to search online for similar issues and found some good advice [here]. I'd recommend taking a look Man Happy

If that's no help, are you able to connect to other WIFI networks on your phone?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Mairi_R
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks.  Yes I can connect to other wifi networks, eg at home.  I have had the following reply from our IT helpdesk:

I'm afraid that the fault does not lie with IT Services, but with Microsoft, and to an extent with some less security-minded HE institutions. To explain, a connection to Eduroam requires that certain security protocols be installed and configured on a device to allow wireless access to our network.  Microsoft do provide these protocols in Windows Phone 8.1 but they do not allow us to configure them on an individual device.

Microsoft's solution is that we purchase an expensive, centrally management software solution to allow us to remotely configure all Windows phones connected to our network. In addition, all Windows Phone users must agree that IT Services will have ultimate control over their mobile device.  This may be OK for University-owned phones but I doubt whether students would feel happy about us having the ability to wipe their devices remotely should we feel a need to do so.  Even if we overcome student resistance, we cannot justify the costs involved when the use of Windows phones is so low at the University.

We are looking at ways to allow Windows phones to connect to Eduroam and I am informed that this can be done. However, it means (at the moment) we would have to change the security protocols used and this would involve changing the way that everyone who accesses Eduroam connect in order to allow a few Windows Phone users access.

Craig_D wrote:

Hi Mairi_R

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing at the moment.

I've been able to search online for similar issues and found some good advice [here]. I'd recommend taking a look Man Happy

If that's no help, are you able to connect to other WIFI networks on your phone?

Craig

Craig_D wrote:

Hi Mairi_R

Craig

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mairi_R

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me about this and thanks for the really informative post.

I'm sorry there's not anything we're able to do to assist and I hope that this gets sorted for you soon!

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos