Menu
aestory
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Connected to wifi but data still being used

Hello, while I am at home my phone is always connected to wifi and last month I received a larger bill than expected, but I just thought I had over used my data while out.

This month is not even over and my bill says I am already over, when I went to check my usage I saw that data is always being used on my phone despite it being connected to wifi. It only uses a little bit per hour, but it is taking that bit out every hour and I don't know how since I am still connected to wifi.

Has anyone else had this issue??

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connected to wifi but data still being used

No, I would say that is down to your phone or OS not VM.

Also make sure any Apps are set to do so.

I make sure its 100% connected to wifi at home and check my DATA each day.

0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. Do you by any chance have an Experia M2? Mine picks up Wi-Fi automatically when I'm at home, and all apps are set to update when on Wi-Fi only, yet every hour or so it ticks up about 4kb of data usage.  I've tried the sim in a different M2, and the same happens, but put it in another make of phone and no data is used on Wi-Fi.  As you might expect, Tech Support were flummoxed by this and could only suggest turning mobile data off when at home. Er, not quite the solution I wanted! I can only surmise there is a glitch in the OS of this particular type of phone, or the Superhub could, I suppose, drop signal for a moment causing the mobile data to click in briefly. But if that was the case, surely it would affect all phones?!  A mystery.

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Having been given an old iphone from son, I set it up and instantly got billed £1 WHILST I WAS IN THE SHOP!

I learned fast- if you switch off "carrier" in settings, it wont use virgin outside. Inside the house set to your wifi.

Crafty in getting dosh out of you non?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My Moto G uses a little data every couple of hours while connected to WIFI, my wife's Nokia windows phone uses a very small amount of data exactly every hour while connected to WiFi.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
ericos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On every phone I've had I turn off mobile data & only turn it on if & when I want to use it.

photo speedtest.png
0 Kudos
aestory
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the responses, I just reset my data statistics and found that (while on wifi) data was being used for push notifications, not sure which ones though... 

(the phone I have is an iPhone 5C)

0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is all a bit naughty. I think we are entitled to assume that no data will be used while on WiFi, yet clearly it is. Not a problem to those like me on a contract, unless large amounts of data are being consumed, obviously, but on PAYG you will immediately pick up a £1 charge the moment the smallest amount of data is used. I wonder whether Of com might have a view on this. Meantime if you're on Payg turn off data until you need it. I'm going to turn off push notifications to see if that stops it.....

0 Kudos
Off_switch
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My last post was incorrect. I an eejit.

Turn off "cellular" not carrier.

sorry for my last post.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Check the settings for your phone - wifi may be being turned off when the phone goes to standby. If the o/s needs data while in standby, it will use the 3G connection.

0 Kudos