Menu
mo2
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Competition scam

I entered a competition on my phone. Was sent a code to submit. Then I received a text to say £4.50 will be deducted each month until I text stop to a number. I tried to do this but have not enough credit. It doesn't say how much it will be to send the text. I have a pay as you go virgin mobile account so I assume if there is no money on my phone they can't get any payment. What is the best thing to do get another chip and change my number or is there any other way I can stop payment? Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Competition scam

Hi mo2,

you could try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company and contact them directly, asking to end their service.

Or the number may be listed on this site PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services.

Again, if you can obtain their details, contact the company directly asking them to unsubscribe you.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Competition scam

If it's PAYG and you're not fussed about keeping the number, just get another SIM and bin the one that's currently in your phone.

Bear in mind that a new number is probably someone's old, recycled number- if they were keen on mobile competitions, you'll just be reviving their own premium messages.