Menu
laulise09
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Competition: What is Virgin doing about roaming charges?

After my recent visit to France, I realised how ludicrous the roaming charges on Virgin Mobile are. I know that Virgin has reduced the fees as I remember they used to be lot higher, but other companies such as Three (3) are allowing customers to use their phones abroad at no extra cost.

This might be more enticing to some and may prompt people to leave Virgin for other mobile providers.

Is something going to be done about this in order to keep loyal customers?

This is something to consider.

Kind regards,

Laurie

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Competition: What is Virgin doing about roaming charges?

Hi Laulise09,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Thanks for posting here with us. Your opinion is important to us. 

I'm sorry but I don't have a specific answer on this for you.

Here at virgin media we are always looking at new ways in which we can improve our services and ways in which we can offer better value for money for our customers going forward.

Many thanks

Let us know if you need anything.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There not interested in being competitive or offering good deals on the mobiles there desperate to sell that side of there company to vodaphone and be out of the mobile business all together

0 Kudos
laulise09
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response, Stephen. However, I am still unhappy and would like the name or contact details of a manager or someone who is in charge so that I can get a specific response to my complaint.

I have been with Virgin for 20 years, which is a testament to your service. But the roaming charges are absolutely unacceptable. I am going to France again next week and I dread the cost of using my phone while I am abroad.

It is important that Virgin be aligned with other mobile network providers – who are not charging roaming charges – just as the six big energy companies are aligned in their charges.

This is absolutely unacceptable, and a lot of people remain unhappy.

I hope to get a response soon.

Kind regards,

Laurie

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Come July in 2017, all your call, text and data allowances will be usable in the EU by all providers.  Untill then choose which provider which suits your needs best.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi - laulise09.  You've asked VM staff for some contact details. I hope you get them and are able to write. But I want you to consider some other issues before you do.

Firstly there is only one UK mobile phone provider which allows people to roam in 11 (I think) countries without additional charges. That is Three. None of the other providers have followed suite.  All of them may have to limit their roaming charges in 2017 as the European Single Telecoms market develops. Until then competition prevails. You may think VM are on the wrong side of the argument but VM (and the other providers) clearly doesn't/don't share your view.  Of course, limiting roaming charges now either means customers take a hit in higher charges for other services or the provider's profit takes the hit. We've seen this time and time again as providers seek to protect their profit margins.

It is not true to say that the power providers have aligned their tariffs.  It may appear that they behave in a concerted way but they deny that. Nevertheless they are being investigated by the Competition and Markets authority for anti-competitive behaviour which is illegal under both European and domestic competition law. They risk huge fines/licence loss if it is found that they have aligned their charges in a collusive fashion. 

Both markets (mobile phones and power) share one feature in common. They are competitive. If you don't like the offer of one, go somewhere else. The regulators make that easy by allowing quick switching. In the case of mobile phone companies you won't lose your number.

VM might listen to your pleas for lower prices. You'll get your wish (to some extent) anyway in 2017. But I fear that you are currently arguing from an unsustainable position.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear we're not as competitive as others with our roaming charges.

Here is the complaints address you've requested:-

Complaints

Virgin Media

PO Box 333

Matrix Court

Swansea

SA7 9ZJ

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if there's anything else you need.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos