Menu
5threeone
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Charges or texts received from 700046067

As with many other I too have been charged for texts received from 700046067 although no texts were received.  It appears that stopping them in the future is not possible.  So I have completed a Fraud Report to the Police.

Since the charges are taken from my Direct Debit by Virgin;

since Virgin lists them on my statement;

since Virgin are aware of this activity;

since Virgin receive my payment......how do the Fraudsters get paid?  

Surely, it can only be by arrangement with Virgin?  

To whom do I turn for recompense?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charges or texts received from 700046067

Hi 5threeone,

not just Virgin Mobile, I've found a similar complaint about the same number on the EE community forum.

Click on the link: Spam Texts and you will see the name & contact details of the provider.

I'm afraid that this doesn't help you get your money back but should help you to unsubscribe if you haven't already done so.

You could also get in touch with PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20
They are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS & may be able to help you.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi 5threeone,

not just Virgin Mobile, I've found a similar complaint about the same number on the EE community forum.

Click on the link: Spam Texts and you will see the name & contact details of the provider.

I'm afraid that this doesn't help you get your money back but should help you to unsubscribe if you haven't already done so.

You could also get in touch with PhonePayPlus - 0300 30 300 20
They are the UK regulator for premium rate SMS & may be able to help you.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

5threeone
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charges for "texts received" from 700046067

Its pretty clear from my afternoon investigating this matter that.......

(a) All the phone providers are aware of the element of fraud associated with these "received texts" appearing on our bills.  Proof of that lies in their almost immediate ability to provide the details and addresses of the source.   Additionally they are quite skilful in offloading responsibility onto the customer to make investigations, even though they are the other party in our Direct Debit and out of which the "text sender" must surely get paid.  How else?

(b) Since the amounts taken are small, many of us may not be aware of them being buried in a bill, which can sometimes run into a lot of pages.  Consequently there is not that much "hue and cry."   Only when fraud gets to big money is there a response from the public and the law.  But it is big money when collated across the thousands of cheated customers.

(c) To add strength to an attempt at obtaining recompense a victim will have to report it to the Police, local MP, Age Concern, Money Saving Expert, Crimewatch etc etc.   It will depend on how far one is prepared to go for small money. However, one winner could set a precedent and benefit many others.

0 Kudos
5threeone
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This is what happens when you try to sort out these charges for "texts received" from the number 700046067

1. Virgin identify the sender and provide you with the details telling you to contact them direct.  Here is a transcript of their 'help'.....

The details to contact them are as follows:
Xinion, 0333 202 7721 (Vodafone, O2, Three, Virgin) 03332026452 (EE, T-Mobile, Orange), contact@customercaredepot.co.uk

2.You contact them by email and and they  reply as follows........

Hello,

Thank you for your email,

I can confirm that telephone number provided is not listed upon our system.

Please note all short codes are shared amongst several different companies within the industry and so all hold the rights to operate from this platform.

I can only advise that you again contact your network provider and confirm that in fact that it is not ourselves here at Panther Play that have applied said charges,

Kind Regards

Panther Play Customer Service Team. 

I think we call this being given a 'runaround'.  

0 Kudos