Menu
bmacd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Charges for premium rate texts when phone is off

Hi. Having trouble with premium texts being charged to my account when the phone is turned off. Talked to the virgin media people but they are refusing to check the data for the phone to see when it was last registered on the network. They also are saying that I have to prove the phone is turned off. Not sure how to do that!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charges for premium rate texts when phone is off

Wait...what ???

Why would you think it makes any difference if the phone is on or off?

Why would support not TELL you it makes no difference if the phone is on or off?

A premium text is charged to your account when it arrives at the mobile provider that handles your account under GSM agreements. Whether your phone is off, on , or fired into the centre of the sun and totally destroyed, makes no difference.

You need to deal with the source of the texts. If you are receiving unsolicited premium texts, raise a complaint with

Phonepayplus

Some advice at

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/im-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messag...

0 Kudos
bmacd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The bill indicated that the phone sent the text not received it. The timing of the text was during the time the phone was off. This text was not an incoming text according to virgin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

AHH right, outgoing- that should be easier you would think.

Lets say you are off cell- you send a premium text at 3.00pm . Your phone cannot send it- you are off cell. You hit coverage at 4:30. Your phone sends it but the time stamp on the message is 3:00 pm. That would be indistinguishable from a text sent from a phone with a spoofed timestamp (set your date/time to whatever)

So what you need to prove is not the phone was switched off, that's irrelevant. You need to prove it wasn't sent AT ALL. Which is substantially more difficult.

You could try offering to bring it into a VM shop for them to examine. DO NOT let them send it anywhere.

But frankly you would be better asking them to bar all outgoing premium texts and suck up the charge. Painful I know, but there you are.

0 Kudos
bmacd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree , but the phone has not been turned on for over 24 hours. Also virgin will not block premium numbers as they opted not to do it. I have asked virgin media to review the CDRs for the text, but they refused. I am a little stuck. As the CDR would give the cell location of the phone when it sent the text. Also Virgin can check the last time the phone was registered on the network, but the customer services cannot do this. Not sure what is going on with these texts at the moment
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah got your line of thought now Smiley Happy

Have you spoken to the onshore team? Offshore work of scripts and its not usually "wont" more "don't have the training to". As for the CDR's try pointing out its YOUR data ,you want access to it under the DPA and you are prepared to follow through with a complaint to the Information Commissioner, might rattle them enough to get some leverage..

0 Kudos
bmacd
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep. I know it is my data but this is still difficult to get hold of as it is protected by RIPA. The biggest problem is that Virgin cannot block premium rate numbers (will not) as other networks do. Also the off shore team are convinced the system is correct and has no issues. I will take this up with PayPhonePlus on Monday. Also look to try and get MVNOs such as virgin to allow users to block premium rate numbers bu default (if possible). This will take longer but premium rate numbers should be treated the same as adult services

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi bmacd

Welcome to the Community, I am so sorry to learn about the inconvenience you're experiencing with your service at the moment.

I'd like to request that a member of our team take a closer look at this from our end, so I can do that would you be able to respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information?

You can view the message by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Brian.

There's no reference to that '63367' number on your most recent bill.

With unbilled usage, we're unable to see further details, so we would need to wait until your next bill is produced on or around the 17th July to let advise on recent charges.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos