Menu
ianday
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Charges MMS and pictures

Hi

I have recently spoken to a virgin advisor who explained that mms imogies in excess of 2 are charged as picture messages.

also WhatsApp would charge if no wifi was avail.

can I have some clarification on what charges would apply via an android devise.

my understand is that WhatsApp, imessage and messanger are data dependant and as such wouldn't charge for pictures

thanks

ian

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charges MMS and pictures

Hi Ian,

there are a number of reasons why SMS (text) messages might be converted to an MMS (picture message) and you'll be charged accordingly.

Sending emoticon (emojis) is one of the more common. 

Usually you will be OK with "basic" ones :-) & :-( e.t.c. It's when you start sending hearts and flowers and suchlike.

Here is a support page listing such instances: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

With regard to WhatsApp, as you say it is data dependant.

If you have a good WiFi connection the message will be sent via that.

However if you have no WiFi connection and attempt to send a message using WhatsApp it will require use of your mobile data in order to do so.

Unless you have disabled (turned off) mobile data to avoid charges. But then of course you will not be able to send the message until your phone reconnects to WiFi.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ianday wrote:

I have recently spoken to a virgin advisor who explained that mms imogies in excess of 2 are charged as picture messages.

They were talking rubbish. I suspect they meant "SMS that use up more than two messages" i.e. longer than 300-odd characters. Even if that's what they meant, they are still talking rubbish. It's phone-dependent, and depends on the messaging app. Their thresholds for converting text to MMS are different. You can replace the stock messaging app with one from your app store which does not do this conversion.

(The conversion takes place because for long messages, the MMS protocol is more efficient. Most other countries don't charge for MMS, they just take it out of your data allowance, so the conversion is a convenience in places other than the UK.)

ianday wrote:

WhatsApp don't charge, but it uses data, so if you pay for your data, you pay for WhatsApp messages.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ian,

there are a number of reasons why SMS (text) messages might be converted to an MMS (picture message) and you'll be charged accordingly.

Sending emoticon (emojis) is one of the more common. 

Usually you will be OK with "basic" ones :-) & :-( e.t.c. It's when you start sending hearts and flowers and suchlike.

Here is a support page listing such instances: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

With regard to WhatsApp, as you say it is data dependant.

If you have a good WiFi connection the message will be sent via that.

However if you have no WiFi connection and attempt to send a message using WhatsApp it will require use of your mobile data in order to do so.

Unless you have disabled (turned off) mobile data to avoid charges. But then of course you will not be able to send the message until your phone reconnects to WiFi.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ianday wrote:

They were talking rubbish. I suspect they meant "SMS that use up more than two messages" i.e. longer than 300-odd characters. Even if that's what they meant, they are still talking rubbish. It's phone-dependent, and depends on the messaging app. Their thresholds for converting text to MMS are different. You can replace the stock messaging app with one from your app store which does not do this conversion.

(The conversion takes place because for long messages, the MMS protocol is more efficient. Most other countries don't charge for MMS, they just take it out of your data allowance, so the conversion is a convenience in places other than the UK.)

ianday wrote:

WhatsApp don't charge, but it uses data, so if you pay for your data, you pay for WhatsApp messages.