Menu
MajorBloodnok
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Charged for telling Virgin that a street cabinet door is open

I don't believe this. Walking back from the station I spotted a street cabinet door was open, exposing all the nearby residents' cable connections to the elements, so I phoned the number displayed on the inside of the door and went through the telephone ritual pressing keys etc, telling them where the cabinet is etc..

Found a sheet of paper,folded it several times and wedged it in the door to keep it from blowing open again, and probably saved all your customers from loss of service due to vandalism or water ingress.

Lo and behold, I have just seen this in my account:

20 Nov 15:07Call03303330444No2m:26s£0.98

Outrageous. You thieving ungrateful scumbags.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for telling Virgin that a street cabinet door is open

03 numbers are treated like standard geographical numbers when it comes to pricing - so if you're on a plan that gives you a certain amount of free airtime to geographical numbers, the call won't cost anything but it will decrease your available airtime.

If you're on a plan where all your calls to geographical numbers are charged at (say) 40p per minute, then a 2min 26sec call will cost you just short of a pound. If you were expecting the call to be free, you should have expected the number to begin 0800, 0500 or 0808.

This can also happen if you've used up all your "free" airtime.

If the cost of the call was such a big problem, you shouldn't have rung them. You, and you alone, are responsible for managing your call costs. This includes being aware of how much the calls that you make are going to cost you.

By all means have a rant about how their failing to use a freephone line discourages people from helpful behaviour like reporting an open cabinet, but the way you've done this suggests that you're at least as much to blame because you've no idea how much your tariff charges for the various calls you might make.

0 Kudos
MajorBloodnok
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mea culpa and all that. I was in a hurry, potentially late for an appointment, and didn't have time to think about checking if it was a free number. I happen to be using a temporary SIM card that I have just installed because Virgin have provided no Network connection for about 10 days - it just dropped. So I don't know what the charges are. One just expects such a call to be free.

So yes my rant is about Virgin using a 0333 number. It is so cynical.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Maybe the @ForumTeam can put the suggestion forward that it would be a good idea to put the call prices on these stickers, and possibly add the invitation for Virgin Mobile users to be able to call in with problems using 789 or 150 so the call doesn't cost airtime or money?

MajorBloodnok
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The full phrase that I neglected to use was "cynical exploitation of people's goodwill, and active disincentivisation of good citizenship".

I should also have explained that the temporary SIM card is Pay As You Go because it was quick to set up, and I'm naïvely thinking it will be a very short term measure because Virgin will very quickly fix my normal phone connection, and I didn't have time to investigate tariff choices, just accepted the default Limpactular tariff that came with it. I'm used to a monthly contract with unlimited calls and texts and 3GB data usage cap.

0 Kudos
MajorBloodnok
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

Maybe the @ForumTeam can put the suggestion forward that it would be a good idea to put the call prices on these stickers, and possibly add the invitation for Virgin Mobile users to be able to call in with problems using 789 or 150 so the call doesn't cost airtime or money?

It looks like @ForumTeam is not interested in your good suggestions Gorf.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi MajorBloodnok

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about the cabinet door, I can understand that calling in to report this when you're in a rush can be a burden so I really appreciate you taking the time to feed this back. 

Great suggestion from @Gorf too, it is possible to report a broken cabinet by dialling 150 from a Virgin landline and speaking to the team, you can also report it here, or by visiting Virginmedia.com/contactus and selecting the relevant option Man Happy.

I'll be here should you need any assistance

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos