Menu
Kw7107
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Charged for mobile data, but using home wifi

I posted this previously, and thanks for the replies.  I changed settings on phone to no roaming etc.  Phone is a Sony xperia.  I am still getting charged for data usage over and above my 1GB monthly allowance.  This is happening first thing in the morning when the phone isn't even being used!  Sorry, but can't help but feel I'm being ripped off here by Virgin.

I have a similar phone on a different network and this doesn't happen (settings the same as my virign phone)!!!!

Help me please!!!!

0 Kudos
Kw7107
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for mobile data, but using home wifi

Does anyone from Virgin actually come on here?

0 Kudos
Les01889
Tuning in
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Is mobile data (as well as roaming) turned off on the phone? I get this happening occasionally at home, sometimes the wifi drifts & the phone automatically goes onto data. Try turning mobile data off while you're at home & see if it makes any difference (just remember to turn it back on when you're out & about..

Mobile data & roaming are separate features, so you'd need to do both

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kw7107,

Welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you have been have been charged for data usage when your mobile has been connected to a WiFi connection. 

Have the suggestions that @Les01889 provided helped?

The Forum Team work through the boards in date order and the boards have been very busy, apologies for the delay in responding to your post. If you require an immediate response, please contact us direct on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile), 150 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media landline) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone).

Have a look at the posts on the following thread, which gives some good advice about this issue: Getting charged for extra data allowance.

Please let us know how you get on with this and if you continue to have problems being charged for data usage over your allowance.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Kw7107
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

It's still happening.  Will let the contract run down then leave Virgin Mobile.  It's absolutely ridiculous and I have basically been paying an average £40 a month on top of things.

Really not happy and would not recommend Virgin Mobile to anyone.

Chances of a refund I assume will be nil.

0 Kudos
Kw7107
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry, further to my response below, but how is this allowed to even happen? My bill states that I was charged for using the internet at 00:01 this morning. I was fast asleep at that time! Really, this is ridiculous!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kw7107,

apps and the phone's OS will regularly sync/update themselves and use small amounts of background data if allowed to.

As you pass midnight, you enter another 24 hour period (£2 for out of tariff mobile data use). If you want to prevent this you need to turn off mobile data data in your phone's settings once your allowance is used up.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Kw7107 wrote:
I'm sorry, further to my response below, but how is this allowed to even happen? My bill states that I was charged for using the internet at 00:01 this morning. I was fast asleep at that time! Really, this is ridiculous!

Somehow your phone is using data. Looks like your wifi is dropping out, which is all too common especially if the phone is left on idle for prolonged periods.

Outside of allowance you are charged in 24hr blocks. 00:01 is when the charge for the previous 24 hours is charged to your account, not when you used data.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Quite frankly, if you are being charged around £40 per month extra you are on the wrong tariff.

0 Kudos
MB558
Tuning in
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

We have just received a bill £36 above the normal amount due to usage at home whilst connected to wifi. It's my son's phone and he's very upset as he always sets his data allowance on his phone to suit the tariff. So when I've just told him we've got a big bill due to his "over usage", he's devastated! I just called 789 customer services and was told that we have to switch off the mobile data even when connected to wifi. Really??? It's 2017!! Although the customer service rep was polite, apparently there's nothing he can do. 

Ok so, my son has a Sony E5 which was also bought from Virgin. Maybe we should've been told this was a problem?? I've been with T-Mobile, O2, 3 and Vodafone and never have we had to switch off mobile data in our own home. Oh and I've had Sony phones as well.

We have two mobiles with Virgin and the complete package of home entertainment including TV,  broadband and home phone. I was due to switch from Vodafone to Virgin soon as well....not anymore. 

Come on Virgin, step up please. It kind of looks like you've caught us out so we have to pay extra. Is this right?

How were we to know that we have to switch off mobile data WHEN CONNECTED TO VIRGIN WIFI when no other network I've been on does the same? I've looked in your terms and conditions and it's not there. It certainly wasn't explained to us when we bought the package. It's just not right and maybe just a little devious.