Menu
Sooty
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Charged for Premium Rate Text when texting another Virgin Number

Early in August I posted that my son was being charged 15p (a premium rate text) whenever he texted me even though we are both on Virgin monthly contracts.

The number appears in the billing as 447880###### (i.e.the right number but prefixed with 44 not +44. The advice on this forum and from the 789 team was to delete the contact in his phone and replace it with 07880######.

We've done that and I have scoured his phone both in contacts and messaging to see if there are any references to me or my number. There aren't any!

But still he is charged whenever he sends me a text (not iMessage). This doesn't happen to any of his other texts, just to me.

• I've tried going to the Virgin Shop where we live but they were at best unhelpful.
  • I've spoken to 789 - (see above).
  • Is it possible that my phone number is setup the wrong way - tagged by Virgin in some strange way?
  • It only happens to texts and not to phone calls.
  • Are there any other settings either on my phone or my sons that we should check? I have an iphone 4s - he has 5c?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charged for Premium Rate Text when texting another Virgin Number

Hi Sooty,

Thanks for postingSmiley Happy

Sorry to hear you are still getting these charges when texting your sons phone.

This will need to be investigated by our mobile tech team. There aren't any settings on the phone we could change that would resolve this.

Due to the nature of the query I would recommend calling our mobile tech team on 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789. 

Speak soon.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Sooty,

Thanks for postingSmiley Happy

Sorry to hear you are still getting these charges when texting your sons phone.

This will need to be investigated by our mobile tech team. There aren't any settings on the phone we could change that would resolve this.

Due to the nature of the query I would recommend calling our mobile tech team on 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789. 

Speak soon.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Sooty
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well----- to quickly draw a line under this. I never did get to the bottom of the problem. I went through every setting and example of my phone number on my son's phone and checked for strange entries etc -, no joy! Unfortunately he completely destroyed his phone just before Christmas and we had to get a new one...problem solved!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sooty,

Thanks for coming back to keep us updated.

I'm not sure if breaking his phone is a blessing or a curse but if the problem is solved then that's all that matters.

If you get any further issues then please start a new thread and we'll get to it.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
mikelondonse
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sooty and Virgin Team, hopefully following up.
I have had the very same problem with one phone number in particular - my partner! Since I text a fair amount to him the 15ps have added up. This started a few months ago. I have an iPhone (new to me 5s iOS9.2) and iMessage as does he (my old 4s (iOS9.0 - NOT Virgin) now recently, but same problem with his 3 before). I have the original £7.50 then £8 SIM only deal with 1000 mins, unlimited texts and 500MB data rolling monthly contract). I expect to see only an £8.50 bill monthly plus any unusual texts or calls I have to make and expect to pay for. I am quite careful but weird things have happened too (see WhatsApp charge later - maybe another forum string?).
on 11/11/15 I called 789 and managed to persuade the operator that it was a technical glitch as it was obviously a British mobile. Like you, she advised me to change my phone numbers from +44. As we travel a lot abroad together and I even text him occasionally/when necessary using roaming texts I can handle that as an expense and have to add the +44 in my contacts entry. Trouble is Apple remember somehow when I return home, then knocked off the '+' and charged me premium. She did not are and reimbursed the overcharging with a credit in the next bill. I was happy.
I the dutifully went through all my (hundreds) of addresses to correct the +44s. Seem to remember his had 447..weird... and I corrected it. Imagine my surprise when the same happened again! Phoned again, same spiel. Error credited back (although on checking today it has not been!). I checked the numbers, fine, all 078....as I left them That was the last bill.
This afternoon I was checking the latest bill and hey presto the same error plus another mobile number. Also some weird roaming texts (from Mexico) to an unknown number not on my texting log (and number not recognised when just phoned up ten minutes ago). Weird!!! Update - I just traced the texts - they were 'WhatsApp invitation notifications!! Never again!!!
Back to the point.... On looking into the 'premium texts' it seems the both recipients had iPhones and the iMessages failed (after an annoying delay they were notified as failures) and I was prompted to 'send as text message' so I did. This seems to have confused the system!! In, however, only these two cases as other iPhone numbers have been texted too (after error - no reason as wifi or 3G are always fast enough for texts!) have incurred no charges!
I am about to phone 789 to sort this. Trouble is I can never trust texting my partner again!! Or others with iPhones!! 
On a good note I got some promotional material from Virgin offering £5 a month SIM only deals for 250 mins, 250MB and unlimited texts. This is what I  hunted for elsewhere and asked Virgin for two years ago! Finally they have lowered the bar as I am well below the limits I have now, even without a landline I negotiated five months ago! I cannot afford extras on my £8.50 deal as I'm self employed so unlimited texts are great, the odd calls and data too.

I've just finished speaking to Glen on 789 and he was very patient hearing me out (he had my usage history and 150 and 789 problems on the screen), saying that this was a recognised issue of Virgin with EE (who they piggyback off - now in the hands of BT!!) and Apple since October (although you had problems since August). He did ask me to change all my mobile contact details to 07.... and I reminded method I had! After my explaining the iMessage situation, he was very grateful for the feedback to pass on to the technical team, not only refunding the excess charges but rounding it up to a tenner (as one error 'sorted' from 7/12 had not actually been credited). He said that this has been a reported error and all they could was refund the excess charges. when challenged.  I wonder how many people do not even check (or are too busy too) their statements and just pay regardless without realising so making a direct profit to Virgin. Since then a friend told me to disable iMessage to play safe until I needed it on holiday and use over wifi abroad (as 07....texts do not send at all). Trouble is iMessage is useful for sending pics over 3G for free here in Blighty. I shall just have to remember my partner and other friend.
Glen also dealt with the new SIM only tariff of £5 that I wanted to change to from next month (assuming I had to give a month's notice). He conferred with a manager who took over - Tracey - and I was offered the lower tariff without any problem, starting the next (refreshing) day! As I was not cancelling I did not have to give a month's notice. Looks like I will be in credit too for my first bill! happy again! 
Full marks all round for customer service (now to fill in the forum feedback form!), although the (really quite complex) technical glitch really needs sorting.
Virgin Media seems to get a bad press and I have had my fair share of technical problems too but cannot fault their customer service in trying to solve them.
Hope yours worked out and you can see this response.
BTW - this page leaps all over the place when trying to select and copy chunks of text , soI cannot cut and copy for future reference - I am running El Capitan 10.11. Another glitch? Maybe it will automatically send an e-mail with this message?
Mike

0 Kudos
mikelondonse
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just saw the Tech Team's responses just now for the first time ('Acknowledgment Pairing/Twinning' (?) errors when trying to send earlier, lucky I managed to copy it all by top to bottom scroll) I should have added that when I used the same SIM in my ancient backup android phone the problem never occurred. My iPhone's wifi collapsed so I had to use an old phone.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI Mikelondonse,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've had some issues with the Premium rate texting with your partner. It's definitely something that I would be frustrated by!

We are aware of this issue and we're continually working hard to get it all fixed for you.

Don't worry about any charges at this point. As my colleague mentioned, we'll be more than happy to reimburse you if we see the charges are genuine.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos