Menu
jacklevy
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Changing to a new tariff

I've been on an ancient pay-as-you-go tariff on a Nokia clamshell phone for many years. This had no monthly fee, and just charged for any use.  I only used it for occasional phone calls, and data use wasn't an issue.  I've now moved the number to an iPhone, so anticipate that I'll want to use data quite a bit, which is very expensive on the existing tariff. I looked at the "change my tariff" web page and am totally confused.  There are many, many, monthly tariffs at various monthly costs and various calls/text/data limits. There are several cases of tariffs with the same limits but at different monthly rates, sometimes a cheaper one looking better than a more expensive one. Some are described a SIM only, which I guess would apply to me, as I simply put a replacement SIM in a SIM-free phone which I had bought outright.  How do I make sense of all this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing to a new tariff

Hi jacklevy,

you don't say which pay as you go tariff you are on but will most likely be best off changing (once you do though you can't change back to an older tariff).

You have two choices: Stay on Pay As You Go or change to Pay Monthly

The Stand alone rates on Virgin's "Big" PAYG tariffs are expensive (you need to top up a minimum of £10 each month to take advantage of the "rewards").

You then still have your top up credit to use. (If you're a Media customer you'll also get unlimited VM to VM calls).

You will most likely be better off committing to a pay monthly tariff (30 day rolling contract).

Click on the links I've provided and consider which will best suit your needs.

Any more questions, post back here and someone will be sure to help Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
jacklevy
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. My existing plan seems to be called "PAYG BY DD". Also, I have a Virgin Mobile account, but not one for Virgin Media. The long list of options presented to me on the "Change your tariff" page is totally different from the 30-day rolling tariffs you kindly referred me to. Some of the options seem too good to be true, such as unlimited data and texts for £10 per month.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

jacklevy wrote:
Thanks for the reply. My existing plan seems to be called "PAYG BY DD". Also, I have a Virgin Mobile account, but not one for Virgin Media. The long list of options presented to me on the "Change your tariff" page is totally different from the 30-day rolling tariffs you kindly referred me to. Some of the options seem too good to be true, such as unlimited data and texts for £10 per month.

Hi jacklevy,

yes, the newer SIM only tariffs are better value, especially since Virgin put up the data allowances a couple of weeks ago.

£10 though is 2500 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB data (not unlimited). 

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos