Menu
Sandbrook
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Changing "My phone number" in settings.

hello all,

I recently got a new phone on Virgin after having a contract with another provider. Received my phone and was given a new SIM card and number. I brought my number across with me from previous provider and it took a few days to transfer. Am hoping I'm making sense so far! My problem is that under ... Settings ... About phone ... Status ... "my phone number" is still showing as the original number given to me by Virgin. Is there anyway to change this? As my number in my address book is showing as the original, and also certain apps that require to use of your mobile number are trying to use the original number also.

many thanks in advance for any help,

Pete

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing "My phone number" in settings.

Its due to lazy porting and the only way to it it is to change the number on a phone that lets you do so like some Galaxy or IPhone models.

They assign a Sim using its serial number (not the phone number) to your account on their servers and that is why it will work with your old number after porting and 222 as Voicemail.

You can see the original VM Sim has a phone number on it and the replacement Sims do not, they say something like "up and running again" where number should be.

I have a Moto X Gen 2 and they finally ported me fully after 3 new Sims but I have no number now instead of the old number but at least my Voicemail number is now correct as before it the old number then on 2nd Sim 222 as number once Voicemail and the new website was finally sorted somewhat as it was a mess after changes.

There is one or 2 Apps will work but only on a rooted Android.

All I need now is a friends unlocked phone that can edit a number and takes a Nano Sim.

0 Kudos
yaz554
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You just to go to "setting" --> "Phone" and click "My number" to edit your phone number.  It's simple.

jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No its not as simple as that on many phones on Android.

These phones cannot write to the Sim.

You can edit your own name/number in the Phones contacts.

Google it if you do not believe or see all the Apps on Google play that are claiming (none will on non Rooted phone) do this for users.

0 Kudos
sweetthing
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have been searching everywhere for this, thank you so very, very much indeed. It is now sorted.
0 Kudos