Menu
Gill72
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing Sim from Micro to Nano

I have just been bought a new iphone to use with my Sim Only Virgin Media Mobile account. I popped into the Virgin Media store in my local shopping centre and enquired about ordering a Nano Sim as I had a  Micro Sim In my current phone. I was told that I would get one sent to me free by calling 789. I also checked online previous to this and saw I could order a new pay as you go or Sim Only Nano sim direct from Virgin Media, free of charge, but when I phoned 789, I was told there would be a £5 charge put onto my account. I had no choice but to order the sim, but don't agree with the £5 charge as I was under the impression there wouldn't be one. Can this be clarified by a Virgin Media member of staff please.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing Sim from Micro to Nano

Hi Gill72,

Thank you for your post.

If its a contract change and we're supplying a Micro Sim handset it would be free.

However, if it's Sim Only and and wanting a Micro Sim or Nano Sim £5 charge may be applied.

Hope this helps,

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Woah! In the sticky post at the top of this forum it says:

"As an existing customer, you'll now be able to contact our customer services team on 789 to switch your standard sim to either a Micro or Nano sim for free!".

Nowhere does it say only if it's a contract change. You need to change that post and make the distinction clear, or you are seriously misleading your customers. How can you expect to keep business if you're going to charge for replacing the SIM on a SIM only deal? No other service provider does. The whole point of SIM only is to change the phone as and when I choose, and if technology changes you need to adapt or lose business. Absolute madness. 

I've just changed phone and gone to a microSIM. If I've been charged and the charge isn't cancelled, I'm giving notice. 

Tags (1)
  • Tags:
0 Kudos
Gill72
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your right Constable21, the sticky post does say they will change it for free, no mention of a charge, so they should honour that statement. I have all our families mobiles on Virgin, home phone, broadband And TV and spend a small fortune each month with them and they still want more! If they don't charge a new customer getting a nano sim sent to them I don't see why I should pay especially when I'm told there will be no charge from this forum and the shop staff! 

Antisocialbeef
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gill72 wrote:

I have just been bought a new iphone to use with my Sim Only Virgin Media Mobile account. I popped into the Virgin Media store in my local shopping centre and enquired about ordering a Nano Sim as I had a  Micro Sim In my current phone. I was told that I would get one sent to me free by calling 789. I also checked online previous to this and saw I could order a new pay as you go or Sim Only Nano sim direct from Virgin Media, free of charge, but when I phoned 789, I was told there would be a £5 charge put onto my account. I had no choice but to order the sim, but don't agree with the £5 charge as I was under the impression there wouldn't be one. Can this be clarified by a Virgin Media member of staff please.

This isn't right. they should NOT be charging to provide a new sim for a new phone.

Keep asking them to do it for free. if they refuse to reimburse your money, leave!

Virgin have appaling customer service on their mobile department and in all honesty Virgin Mobile should be scrapped.

0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just got a replacement sim for daughters new Iphone and was not charged anything.

Check the sim you have as it might already be a combination micro/nano card anyway as I think they have been the norm for a while now.

All you have to do is basically pop out the gold portion of the sim card.

blakeyLS9
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Rang 789 for a nano sim yesterday late afternoon , arrived this morning less than 24 hours from original call to 789 . Impeccable service and no charge . Credit where credit is due . Thankyou VM / 789

0 Kudos