Menu
vinca16
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing SIM card size

New to Virgin. Called 789 and asked for mini SIM for my new mobile. Got it promptly. Followed given instructions of sending READY text to 789678 from the OLD mobile, got almost instant reply of thanks and that shortly they will be letting me know of what is happening. Put new SIM in new phone and waited and waited. Old mobile network is disconnected so can not call support line. After 2 hours wait, went to www.Virginmobile.co.uk/activate to find of what to do, but that was waste of time! On my new mobile screen is a request for "SIM network unlock PIN" which is I presume what I am waiting to receive from Virgin support. Called from my landline their support chargeable number for mobile phones support. Waited and listened for 11 minutes Virgin music and then suddenly just got disconnected. Is this how Virgin treats their customers? Not impressed at all and already regretting changing a provider.

Anyone there with advice??????

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing SIM card size

Hi vinca16,

I'm confused... You say that you have changed provider and are new to Virgin.

At the same time you are saying you are an existing Virgin customer changing SIM card size to suit your new mobile.

Is your new mobile unlocked / open to the Virgin network?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the O2 phone was PAYG then O2 charge £15 to unlock it provided 12 months have elapsed since it was first used. If it was contract then they will give you the code for free anytime.

Trouble is they might want a working O2 SIM in the phone to text the code to. And it might need £15 of credit to pay the charge if it was O2 PAYG. So I would phone O2 and ask for the unlock code and see what they say. It might be cheaper to get it unlocked at any of the high street shops/market stalls that unlock phones.

All Replies
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the new phone with the new SIM is "locked" to some other network provider. For the Virgin SIM to work the phone needs to be unlocked to all networks or at least "locked" to Virgin  Locked to EE might also work. Where did you get the phone?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi vinca16,

I'm confused... You say that you have changed provider and are new to Virgin.

At the same time you are saying you are an existing Virgin customer changing SIM card size to suit your new mobile.

Is your new mobile unlocked / open to the Virgin network?

0 Kudos
vinca16
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My rather old mobile was on Virgin pay as you go, which I moved to pay monthly tariff. Used new Samsung phone on the O2 network for long time. Upgraded O2 to better model and decided to use previous Samsung phone for Virgin network. When ordering new SIM, I did explain to the support person of what I was trying to achieve.

How do  I go about unlocking my originally O2 phone now with new Virgin SIM? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the O2 phone was PAYG then O2 charge £15 to unlock it provided 12 months have elapsed since it was first used. If it was contract then they will give you the code for free anytime.

Trouble is they might want a working O2 SIM in the phone to text the code to. And it might need £15 of credit to pay the charge if it was O2 PAYG. So I would phone O2 and ask for the unlock code and see what they say. It might be cheaper to get it unlocked at any of the high street shops/market stalls that unlock phones.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi vinca16,

you will need to contact O2 and request an "unlock code" for your mobile.

0 Kudos
vinca16
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I only wish that I was told at the time of contacting support of what is needed for such simple change. They did ask for the type and the model of the phone etc., but to mention possible issues with phone being locked for other networks did not featured that time. Hopefully, my experience would prompt someone to highlight necessary checks/steps for the SIM changes and avoid irritation, costs and time for such a banal thing as changing a mobile phone and a SIM size. You see, Virgin support is now unable to contact me on the mobiles as neither old or new are operational so I am grateful for you prompt and useful explanation and help.
Thank you.
0 Kudos