Menu
AndyCoffin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cell Capacity

Id like to ask is it possible to find out what the cell capacity is in a city area? the reason im asking is because im haveing serious issues with streaming at the moment where i live (Carlisle) in that i carnt even play a you tube stream on 144p without it buffering every few seconds and yet if i go even a little way out of the city limits i can happy stream at 480p sometimes even 720p with no buffering at all, in fact just last week i drove from newcastle back to carlisle while listening to a podcast, the whole journey home there was not a single buffer until i hit warwick road in carlisle (thats the main road into carlisle from the A69) when it immediately started buffering.

When i first joined virgin mobile the service was excellent, now im watching it go downhill faster then a block of cheese in gloucestershire.

If it matters im on the VIP pay monthly sim only contract (the one with unlimited data) and using a samsung galaxy S3 running android 4.3 which is fully updated (well according to the software update anyway)

------------------------------------------
When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cell Capacity

Hi AndyCoffin,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your experiencing issues with streaming.

Thanks for posting your query with us.

You could check our coverage checker here to see what type of coverage you will get in the different areas you go to.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks 

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi stephen it says my coverage on both 2g and 3g is listed as excellent where i live and the lowest is rated good (guess carlisle has a good spread of transmitters)

my phone is currently showing a strength of -97dBm 8 asu (HSDPA)

Streaming is still bad but ive found if i reboot my phone it can stream on low ok for a few hours but if i try to use a higher quality stream it will start buffering again right away.

ive also found out my local cell is either orange cell CUM0016 or t-mobile cell 97217 both are approx 800 meters away as the crow flys (data supplied by the ofcom mobile phone base station database).

ive been reading about some mobile company's using a system called CGNAT that shares a ip address's with multiple phones, could this be the cause of my problems and if so can i opt out of it?

------------------------------------------
When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andycoffin,

Thanks for coming back to me.

This does seem strange as you've got good coverage in the area.

I would like to get this looked into for you.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to get some details from you to check this.

Speak soon

cheers

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi AndyCoffin,

Thanks for your patience with this query.

I've had the area checked and signal and cell reception is looking good. There are currently no faults flagged for your area also.

Looking into your issue it seems you maybe affected by our fair usage policy. I've included a link here which explains this process.

Hope this puts some light on your issue for you

Let me know if you need anything else.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos