Menu
itsEmma
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cant send SMS over 160 characters

Hi,

Hope someone can fill me in with what's happening! Previously I've been able to send 'long' text messages by simply joining up to 3 messages together. No problem, just charged for 3 texts as you'd expect. If I went over these 3, it used to say 'converting to MMS' and I'd just cut a few characters out. So, no problem.

Now,all of a sudden, if I go over 160 characters, ie just the one text, it let's me write it fine, but then doesn't send. I get the message 'text not sent, review message and try again'. I've spoken to a lady at VM and she said that after a recent upgrade, any message over 160 will be classed as MMS and will need an Internet connection  (and be charged at 40p) surely this isn't correct??. The alternative, she said is to send the 1st text, then type another. That's not very high-tech surely there must be a problem here?

Or is it just a money making excerise? ie  If you want the convenience of sending just the one long text (like you could always do before ) You need an Internet connection  (I'm PAYG and never use the Internet on my phone) ,pay £1.00 a day, then 40p for the long text/'MMS'

I can't find anything on the Internet about this, and all the information on the VM website refers to what used to happen, not this new occurrence. 

I've tried every setting configuration possible, and the result is just the same, so it does seem to be linked to this update, not my phone. 

I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm this and if anyone knows a way around it! 

Many thanks 

Emma

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant send SMS over 160 characters

Hi Emma,

the character limit for a single SMS is 160 characters.

Depending on the device that you have an SMS longer than 160 characters will either be split into several SMS (as you said used to be the case for you). Or converted to an MMS (have you recently changed device?).

The device is entirely responsible for how this process is handled so if you have not recently changed device take a look in your settings (perhaps an update or reset changed something).

You may be able to alter whether an SMS over 160 characters is converted to MMS or not, or sent as multiple SMS instead.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
mp4_24_2009
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem since Friday afternoon. In the morning I could send texts over 160 characters like normal and then suddenly I received the 'could not send' error when trying to send messages containing more than 160 characters.

My girlfriend is also on Virgin mobile so I tried her sim card in my phone and it sent a 2 message text fine so it is definitely not down to the device.

I then tried my sim card in her phone and got the 'could not send' error. I therefore put this down to a sim card fault. I rang Virgin Saturday morning and they sent me a new sim card which arrived this morning. After activating it the same problem arises, I cannot send messages more than 160 characters in length.

Nick

0 Kudos
Hayleylaura
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's a known network issue. I called them saturday to report this issue as I know it is not my device as it was all working fine the day before it decided to be a ****

Fingers crossed they fix it soon! I think the more people report it, the quicker it will be fixed.

0 Kudos
itsEmma
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, its Emma again,

Thanks so much everyone! 

It seems that we've confirmed it as something that has definitely 'happened' and not just some random fault.

Mine changed on Friday too, fine Friday morning, not able to join 2 texts in the afternoon. 

It's SO frustrating sending texts in 2 bits (I always forget where I've written to in the first one, so save that  bit as a draft, write the next then send the first, go back and send the second....ridiculous ) If it's going to go on indefinitely, I'll have to change network. 

Its DEFINATELY something that Virgin need to get sorted. I agree, we all need to let them know as the operators that I spoke to all gave conflicting advice and information. I'll be ringing again with all your new information and examples.

Finally, does anyone know if anyone from Virgin actually looks at these questions or do they just just send out automated "Welcome!" etc messages? 

Let's keep each other informed with our progress  (or lack of)

Emma

0 Kudos
Chris_P
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Please add myself and a friend of mine each experiencing this same problem since Friday on Virgin mobile. One old Motorola phone, one much newer Samsung.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mp4_24_2009, Hayleylaura, itsEmma and Chris_P,

Thanks for posting on the Forum. I'm sorry that you have all been affected by the problem with sending text messages over 160 characters. This issue has been resolved, so I need to check if you are still experiencing the same problem.

If you are, please let me know so that I can look into this further for you.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
itsEmma
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri P,
Just to let you know, long texts are working fine on my phone again now.
Thanks for the update!
Emms
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emms,

Cheers for getting back to me on this. I'm glad to hear that your sms service has been restored back to normal.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos