Menu
sh83
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cannot receive calls/texts after using banking automated phone service

My bank uses an automated phone service whenever I make payments over online banking; I receive a call and have to enter a 4-digit code I see on screen.

My only phone is a Virgin mobile, I don't have a landline.  Whenever my bank does an automated call, even if I enter the code correctly and the call tells me it was successful and to hang up, once I do my mobile becomes incapable of receiving calls or texts.  A phone reset used to fix this but today this isn't working.  I've taken the SIM out, hard reset etc.

People who phone me get a recorded message telling them my number cannot be reached (not voicemail, which is set up), and nothing is displayed on my mobile.  Text messages just get a "failed" message, and again, nothing on my phone.  

When I do manage to get it working again, I get no notifications about the missed calls or texts.

I can make outgoing calls and texts while this is happening.  I have good signal showing, and good mobile data.

I received a new SIM last week as I have signed up for 4G so I don't think it's that.

In the end, I put my SIM in someone else's phone (that it had never been used in before), sent a text, then put the SIM back in my own phone.  Now I can receive calls/texts again - but obviously I can't do this every time it happens.

Does this mean it's the handset?  I've only had it since July, on pay monthly.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot receive calls/texts after using banking automated phone service

It SOUNDS like the call is not being terminated correctly.

Can you test the Sim in a different handset again , see if you can receive calls after the banks message ON THE ALTERNATE HANDSET ? Keep it in the other handset this time instead of switching it back?

If so, its the handset. If not its the SIM...

0 Kudos
sh83
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I will try this next time I have access to another phone that will accept a Virgin SIM.

0 Kudos
sh83
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This turned out to be a SIM issue, as it did not matter what phone was used.  In case anyone else has this problem, I have found a resolution with the help of Virgin Mobile support:

(This is Windows/Lumia specific, but could be adapted to other phones)

- Settings > Network& wireless > Mobile & SIM >SIM Settings > Search for networks > pick another (e.g. 3), click OK and restart phone.

As soon as it restarts, text messages come through and calls can now be received (no missed calls appear though).  I hope this helps anyone else who experiences this.

0 Kudos
Heb89
Just joined
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ahh i'm so glad i have found someone with the same issue - i thought i sounded like a crazy person trying to explain this to people!

I've just done what you said and its worked for me after it went down yesterday when i done something on my online banking again!

So frustrating, does this mean i have to do that every time i use online banking? nightmare! 

0 Kudos
sh83
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad it helped Smiley Happy  I have this problem after every single automated internet banking call from my bank - usually if I'm setting up a payment to someone I haven't paid before or similar.  However I get automated calls from the hospital regarding appointments and I never have a problem after those.  I think this means it must be the bank's system.  Really annoying though, but very glad I can at least fix it now!

0 Kudos