Menu
heather1967
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cannot hear callers

Switched to virgin sim in iPhone 5s. Now cannot hear callers. Any suggestions please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot hear callers

Does it happen everywhere or in just one location? If there is no issue with the handset then it is usually caused by a problem with the mast your phone is connected to. Likewise it could be a fault with the mast at the caller end. Virgin have no infrastructure of their own, they are a virtual overlay on the EE infrastructure. EE in turn was created from T-Mobile and Orange. My personal theory is that some of the Orange infrastructure was never fully integrated or perhaps there is no imperative to fix it when broken.

Usually cold starting both ends of the call fixes the problem.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Does it happen everywhere or in just one location? If there is no issue with the handset then it is usually caused by a problem with the mast your phone is connected to. Likewise it could be a fault with the mast at the caller end. Virgin have no infrastructure of their own, they are a virtual overlay on the EE infrastructure. EE in turn was created from T-Mobile and Orange. My personal theory is that some of the Orange infrastructure was never fully integrated or perhaps there is no imperative to fix it when broken.

Usually cold starting both ends of the call fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
heather1967
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. Have restarted phone - no change. Have previously used Orange T Mobile and Vodafone locally -again, no issues. Have friends locally who are long time virgin users - no issues either.  Three different callers have had the same results - can hardly hear them. Max volume applied on the phone. Out of ideas

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You didn't say if the problem occurs everywhere or just one location? EG your home?

0 Kudos
heather1967
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

3 different but local locations. Home, work which is 3 miles away and a local restaurant approx 2 miles from home in a different direction 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi heather1967

Welcome to our community Smiley Happy

It's not good to hear about he trouble you're experiencing with the mobile service at the moment!

Can I check if this is a new handset, or a phone you've previously used with the other providers?

Would you be able to test another SIM card in the phone for me temporarily? This will allow us to check if the Virgin SIM/network is responsible for the issue you're having or if the SIM change is simply coincidental.

Another thing you could try is toggling the loud speaker on the handset (press the 'speaker' button during the call). If the call comes through loud and clear at this point, the fault is likely to be with the phone's earpiece speaker.

I'd also ask you if you've recently added a new screen protector or anything similar to the device? Sometimes the screen protectors don't have cutouts for the earpiece which muffles the sound.

Please let me know how you get on with these suggestions and if you're still stumped as to what may be causing this, we can get you some further assistance Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos