Menu
Paulb2
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling mobile account

Hi, my Mum in law took out 2 mobiles in her name for herself and my father in law. He passed away suddenly on Thursday and we are trying to sort through accounts etc. Does anyone know whether compassion is shown in such circumstances or will she have to honour the contract even though he's no longer with us?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling mobile account

I'm sorry for your loss.

They should have someone trained in bereavements - I'd suggest waiting until after 9am on a weekday, ring 789 and select "I'm thinking of leaving" and ask to speak to someone in bereavements.

If they don't have someone suitably trained, it's a major lapse in responsibility. Pretty much every company that has a "call centre" based business model is expected to have this covered. After all, it happens to everyone, eventually.

I'd be very interested to hear of your experience when calling in. A close family friend went through a similar problem (her husband signed up to a deal for their child, then the husband died suddenly). Their treatment by the staff at an O2 shop was nothing short of exemplary. Unfortunately, their treatment when speaking to insurance companies, who should have known better, bordered on abuse.

"I need to change this policy into my name, my husband has died."
"I'll need to speak to the policy holder, it's in his name."
"You can't. He's dead."
"Perhaps if I call back next week?"
"Why, do you think he'll have recovered by then?"

(My friend kept her sense of humour even through those difficult times, but despite her constitution, some of those call centres managed to reduce her to tears.)

Paulb2
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I will give them a call and feedback on here. Hopefully they'll understand that a pensioner should not be burdened even more than they already are.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulb2,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I want to do everything in my power to help reduce any stress on your side.

So we can do this, I've sent you a PM detailing the next steps. You can view this by clicking the purple envelope in the top right.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Paulb2
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mat. Please give me a call asap as I'm getting nowhere as things stand.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

I've just replied to your PM.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Paulb2
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it looks like the contract can't be written off or signed over to my bank so we are keeping the phone and paying into mums account so she's not short.
0 Kudos