Menu
emma1990
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Cancelled contract, when will bills stop?

I cancelled a rolling contract in July and I was told it would take 30 days to do so and I'd only have to pay one more bill. So I got my bill at the start of August. Yesterday I got another bill for 7 Aug to 7 Sep... which I guess makes sense as it would have still been under contract for some of that time. When I checked my account online though it said my next bill was due 8 Oct? Is this an error on the site or do I need to call someone to sort it out? Which I'd  rather not have to do as it takes so long to get to someone!

0 Kudos
emma1990
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelled contract, when will bills stop?

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

On what date was your contract due to expire? What is your normal refresh date? (i.e. on what day of the month do you get the text saying your allowances have been refreshed)

0 Kudos
emma1990
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I cancelled it on July 27th, and they said 30 days til it expired, so 26th of August. And I think it's the 8th is my refresh date. So I understand why I'd pay this month as it should have ended between 8th August and 7th September, but I shouldnt be paying a bill in October I don't think?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You didn't answer the "when did your contract expire?" part. When you sign up you typically end up in a minimum-term agreement, colloquially known as a "contract". The minimum term is usually 24 months. However, you might be in a one-month rolling contract.

Not that it matters much either way - you seem to have been misinformed by the call centre person. You don't need to give 30 days notice, you need to cancel in the 30 days before your next refresh date. These are two different things, because with the former you might end up with 59 days of a service you're trying to get rid of, whereas with the latter you can ring up the day before you want it to stop

When you cancel, your contract ends on your next refresh date. The last payment comes out two weeks after your contract ends.

Assuming your minimum term has already expired (i.e. on 7th August, 7th July or 7th June etc) then you cancelling on 27th July means your service should have terminated on 7th August and your last payment should have come out of your account somewhere near 21st August. It looks like you've been billed for an extra month.

If you need to get bolshy with a customer service representative, the post where the "it's not 30 days notice, it's within 30 days of refresh" is explained by a Virgin Mobile staff member is here.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos
emma1990
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yeah sorry it's a 1 month rolling one. I also got an email saying this when I cancelled in July.

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you want to cancel one or more of your Virgin Mobile contracts. But that doesn't mean we won't do all we can to make sure everything goes smoothly. Here's all the information you'll need. 

First things first, you need to know that we will cancel your account 30 days from today as discussed. 

Your final bill 

Your direct debit will draw on your normal date and this will be the final bill unless we told you during our conversation that you have already paid this . We would advise you to keep your direct debit active for the next 3 months as some charges can take up to this time to be billed.

I'm really clueless on what I should be paying tbh. I've always had pay as you go before this one.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

emma1990 wrote:

Yeah sorry it's a 1 month rolling one. I also got an email saying this when I cancelled in July.

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you want to cancel one or more of your Virgin Mobile contracts. But that doesn't mean we won't do all we can to make sure everything goes smoothly. Here's all the information you'll need. 

First things first, you need to know that we will cancel your account 30 days from today as discussed. 

Your final bill 

Your direct debit will draw on your normal date and this will be the final bill unless we told you during our conversation that you have already paid this . We would advise you to keep your direct debit active for the next 3 months as some charges can take up to this time to be billed.

I'm really clueless on what I should be paying tbh. I've always had pay as you go before this one.

Ah - if it's a rolling contract, you cancelled on 27th July, your next refresh would have been 8th August. Your service should have stopped on 7th August and your last direct debit should have gone out on 21st August (ish).

I think the @ForumTeam need to look at this - if Mark_Y's assertion from the post I linked above is wrong we need to know about it. However, it looks to me like you've been charged for an extra month.

Has your phone been disconnected yet?

0 Kudos
emma1990
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I can still make calls so I guess it's not disconnected. Thanks for your help. Currently been on hold for 10 minutes waiting to sort it out! 

0 Kudos
emma1990
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Finally got through to someone.  They said the request to cancel was never actually put through. 'Apparently' its now canceled with immediate effect and I'll get a refund for last month in 3 to 5 days. 

But I won't get my hopes up yet ha!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Please let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

0 Kudos