Menu
peteclen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cancellation

My daughters contract apparently expired yesterday, which I didn't realise.

I wish to cancel the contract now as she is leaving for University and moving to another supplier in order to get 4G.

If I cancel the contract now will I be still be charged for next month? And is there a cancellation fee?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cancellation

You'll be billed in a couple of weeks for usage up to yesterday. You needed to give notice in the 30 days before the weekend for the contract to terminate at the end of the minimum term.

Your daughter will now be on a monthly rolling contract. You can cancel in the 30 days before the 24th of any month and your service will end on the 24th. You'll be billed for usage up to that date a couple of weeks later.

If a handset was part of the deal, you need to ring 789 now because while the payment you make in a couple of weeks will (correctly) include the handset, the one you will inevitably have to make in six weeks or so needs to have that component removed.

I found myself in a similar situation in May and tried a MVNO that offers 4G. I cancelled and stuck with Virgin because the 4G speed during the day at the place where I normally sit was only slightly faster than the 3G speed I get from Virgin. It was definitely a capacity problem - when I tried again at 3am, it was almost as fast as the wifi connection to my home broadband. I get 600 mins/600 texts/1GB data for £7. I didn't need to be sent a new SIM or anything, it was a seamless transition.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

peteclen wrote:

Thanks, all

Looks like I'll be paying for two contracts for a few weeks Smiley Sad

If the old Virgin contract was a 24 month one that included a handset, don't forget to cancel that part of your payment. Ring 789 and choose "I'm thinking of leaving" you'll be able to explain the situation and that you've already found a replacement provider. At least that way, your early October payment covering 24 August to 23 September will be as low as possible.

Despite what you read on the boards, you should find they are a helpful bunch. I've been with Virgin Mobile since 2007 and have only had one bad experience with customer services.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dunk65
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You have to give a month's notice to end the contract. If you want to end it with immediate effect, you will have to pay for the month in lieu of notice.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You'll be billed in a couple of weeks for usage up to yesterday. You needed to give notice in the 30 days before the weekend for the contract to terminate at the end of the minimum term.

Your daughter will now be on a monthly rolling contract. You can cancel in the 30 days before the 24th of any month and your service will end on the 24th. You'll be billed for usage up to that date a couple of weeks later.

If a handset was part of the deal, you need to ring 789 now because while the payment you make in a couple of weeks will (correctly) include the handset, the one you will inevitably have to make in six weeks or so needs to have that component removed.

I found myself in a similar situation in May and tried a MVNO that offers 4G. I cancelled and stuck with Virgin because the 4G speed during the day at the place where I normally sit was only slightly faster than the 3G speed I get from Virgin. It was definitely a capacity problem - when I tried again at 3am, it was almost as fast as the wifi connection to my home broadband. I get 600 mins/600 texts/1GB data for £7. I didn't need to be sent a new SIM or anything, it was a seamless transition.

0 Kudos
peteclen
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, all

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

peteclen wrote:

Thanks, all

If the old Virgin contract was a 24 month one that included a handset, don't forget to cancel that part of your payment. Ring 789 and choose "I'm thinking of leaving" you'll be able to explain the situation and that you've already found a replacement provider. At least that way, your early October payment covering 24 August to 23 September will be as low as possible.

Despite what you read on the boards, you should find they are a helpful bunch. I've been with Virgin Mobile since 2007 and have only had one bad experience with customer services.

0 Kudos