Menu
Ragamvffyn
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can't set up MMS

Hi, I've just got a new handset (Microsoft 640) and my MMS isn't working. A friend sent me an MMS and i received a link asking me to input my phone number and a password - which I didn't receive. At that point I realised my MMS needed setting up. I found a link to download the settings from your website to my phone, but it won't download on either mobile data or WiFi, I get a notification saying the webpage is unavailable. I've also tried manually entering the settings myself as per your website instructions and sending myself a picture message, but I just get a message saying 'Can't send' after a couple of minutes. I've turned my phone off and on again but it doesn't help. I've had a virgin smart phone for years and never had this issue before it always just worked. Is there a problem with the system at the moment or am I doing something wrong? Also how do I get the picture message without the password?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't set up MMS

Hi Ragamvffyn,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear your having difficulties getting MMS setup. I'd like to help you get this sorted.

Here is a link to our setup page. You will need to select your handset and follow the steps through. 

Should you experience any issue getting this sorted just give our mobile team a call on 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789.

Hope this helps

L;et me know how it goes

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Ragamvffyn
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've followed the instructions on the link. I haven't had any text message as of yet but hopefully it will come through.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ragamvffyn,

Thanks for your reply.

My apologies I was mistaken you will not get a text message. Once the settings have been applied you will need to send yourself a picture message to activate this service

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ragamvffyn wrote:
...Also how do I get the picture message without the password?

The password is in the original text that gave you a link where you could download the MMS message. Unfortunately, it's called the "ID" in the text message, not "password".

You need to use a PC to get the MMS message - it's not very reliable using your phone to download the message. You also need to use a javascript-enabled browser. I had best results with Internet Explorer. Firefox wouldn't open the site.

When you see an entry with the time/date and any text that came with the message, I think you need to select the message and click another button to see the attachment. I can't remember the exact details - it's been a couple of years since I had to do this.

I also remember that I had to experiment with the 07, 447 and +447 prefix on the phone number. One of them worked, can't remember which.

It may well have changed in the meantime, but it sounds like it hasn't.

Good luck - it's what you need when using the web MMS retrieval, which isn't a good sign...

0 Kudos
Ragamvffyn
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There's absolutely nothing on the original text about ID or password. It just says that I've been sent a picture message, and to click on a link.

It's still not working, I've tried to send myself a picture, but I just get a notification 'Can't send' with no further information. What do I do now? All I've done is replaced my handset and started a new contract, could it somehow be conflicting with my old ones settings somehow?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can't help with the handset settings, I'm afraid. The accepted advice on this forum is to send a picture to yourself which automatically downloads the relevant settings and sets you back 40p.

The website is supposed to be an online facility to pick up MMS messages that couldn't be delivered. Setting up your phone (successfully) after receiving this text just means you'll receive any future messages sent to you. Historical messages will need to be picked up via the link even after you set up your phone.

I don't know how you're supposed to pick up the message if you can't tell the site your phone number and the message password...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ragamvffyn wrote:
There's absolutely nothing on the original text about ID or password. It just says that I've been sent a picture message, and to click on a link.

Can you quote the message in its entirety?

0 Kudos
Ragamvffyn
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for doing your best to help Gorf, I realise that you can't really help with the settings much, hopefully it will get sorted out Smiley Happy I think I might have to go to the Virgin store in town to see if they can work it out.

This is all the message I received said:

I've sent you a Virgin Photo/Video Message. Go to https://virgin.mms.ee.co.uk/virgin/ Your message is valid for 7 days
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's a couple of years since I had this problem. The text notification had a code for retrieval which was the password in the web page. It arrived in a single text, so it's not like you're missing an undelivered text. If you're not expecting a picture/video message I'd just ignore it. It's not like the message has been any help, so it's as likely to be a fault as it is a genuine notification.

0 Kudos