Menu
alangton
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't get overseas SIM to work

I transferred my number across from EE to Virgin pay monthly some months ago. I had to pay to unlock my phone with EE and move to Virgin. Now I am unable to use a different SIM in my phone when travelling. Why is this? If I paid to unlock my phone once, surely it is free for me to use how I want. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't get overseas SIM to work

Is this an iPhone?

The iPhone lock status is centrally recorded in the iTunes store and not on the handset as you might have expected. EE would have updated the iTunes status but that is not all that is required.

If this is the case then you also need to perform a backup, then a factory reset/erase and then restore the backup by logging into iTunes with your existing account. Had you transferred to an entirely different carrier then this would probably have been obvious. However in your case the Virgin SIM would have worked even if the phone remained locked to EE. Hence it would not have been apparent that the factory reset was also required.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi alangton,

if EE have unlocked your mobile it should be open to all networks allowing you to use other providers.

(Even whilst locked to EE a Virgin Mobile SIM might work in it as Virgin uses the EE network).

Are you able to try any other SIM's just in case there is a problem with the SIM you are attempting to use?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
alangton
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, AlexKid.

I've tried a couple of different SIM cards now and no joy with any of them. Phone will only work with Virgin sim inserted.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Starting to sound that the phone is not actually unlocked.

Do you still have the code? Some phones need another networks SIM in place for the unlock to work.

It may not have done that with the Virgin SIM

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi alangton

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some issues using another network's SIM card in your EE phone.

As some of the forum team have suggested, it does sound as though your handset may still be locked to EE, so your best bet would be to speak with EE directly for assistance unlocking the device Smiley Happy

Please let us know if we can offer further assistance with this or with anything else though.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is this an iPhone?

The iPhone lock status is centrally recorded in the iTunes store and not on the handset as you might have expected. EE would have updated the iTunes status but that is not all that is required.

If this is the case then you also need to perform a backup, then a factory reset/erase and then restore the backup by logging into iTunes with your existing account. Had you transferred to an entirely different carrier then this would probably have been obvious. However in your case the Virgin SIM would have worked even if the phone remained locked to EE. Hence it would not have been apparent that the factory reset was also required.

alangton
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Enceladus1 - that seems to be exactly what's happened. Instructions for a delete and restore followed and other SIM now working! Thanks everyone for your help.

0 Kudos