Menu
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can't divert to voicemail

Hi everyone

I'm having a problem in that I cannot divert any calls to my voicemail - I'm using 222 as the number to divert to. 

I've been trying for a few days now and get various errors, like "Unknown response from network" and "Network or sim card error".  Voicemail is set to on in my online account and I have turned this off and on again, but it's making no difference.

I've tried the sim card in several phones, but it's the same with each.

I had my "normal" sized sim card replaced last week with a nano-sim and I'm wondering if this may be the problem?  I can actually access voicemail, but can't divert calls to it.

Virgin mobile support were of no use as I called them earlier and they just told me to wait a few hours and try again.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't divert to voicemail

I had same problem where the settingw on VM Mobile Site would not stick but once the new site was again revamped (looks different past few weeks) it works.

All Replies
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

222 is ideally the number to set up Voicemail not use for accessing from then onwards but its the half baked way VM port Sims over.

You can try using your proper VM number and you can get this (if you do not know it) by dialling *#67# and it will pop up on screen.

0 Kudos
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi jhuk

Thanks for your reply.

I tried finding my voicemail number with *#67# last night and a list of things came up, but there wasn't anything about voicemail and no numbers of any kind.

I've been with Virgin for a couple of years and my SIM was only replaced because someone gave me an iPhone a couple of weeks ago and the SIM I had was too big to fit.

I'll try *#67# again (in a different phone) when I get home and see what happens.  Odd though that this only started with the replacement SIM.  Everything else seems to work...

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you get a pop up with no info in it using that above code then its same issue I had when my port was not done 100%.

I had 3 sims before they got it right and the new Mobile Website finally started to work.

0 Kudos
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean by your port? Did you port your number from another network?

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, came from Orange to VM but on 2nd try it was VM Sim to VM Sim and still had no info for voicemail in that pop up, now I do on 3rd Sim.

Once you are actually with VM (like after my 1st Sim) you should be sent a Preactivated Sim not a Self Activated Sim (you do not call up to activate it).

What size is your old Sim and what size do you need for new phone?

0 Kudos
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm not a new customer though - been with Virgin for a couple of years and no problems until last week.

My original sim was a micro-sim, but I had this replaced last week with a nano-sim as I was given an iPhone 5, which the micro-sim was too big for.  The account, number etc is still the same, just on a smaller sim.

I phoned them again earlier this evening and they're sending a new nano sim out, so I'll see what happens with it.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Again once I was on VM Mobile I had and additional 2 Sim swaps (due to porting and Mobile Website ballsup) so same as you are trying to do.

Is your VoiceMail set to ON here : 

https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login

I ask because once site was fixed it too me to set to OFF and wait a good few mins then back to ON again and wait another few mins then when you do that code it will give you info and dialling 222 will be like the 1st time you set up Voicemail.

I asked about your Sims as all newer VM Micros Sim can be "pushed out" to make a Nano Sim, older ones cannot.

My Moto X takes a Nano and VM sends out Mircos but you convert to Nano.

0 Kudos
55brianb
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it's turned on but when I check on the website it's turned itself off again. I tried setting it to on earlier via the phone and it seems to have worked. Diverting all calls to 222 still gives an error message, but the other diverts are OK - they are showing the actual voicemail number, and using that number is working now for divert all to voicemail, so it seems to have been a problem with the website turning voicemail off.

Seems to have fixed it now, but my Internet speed is unusable now, being around 0.01 mbps! Full signal and all the settings are OK, so hopefully the new simply will fix that. We'll see...

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had same problem where the settingw on VM Mobile Site would not stick but once the new site was again revamped (looks different past few weeks) it works.