Menu
akis_tzortzis
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can I use the SIM in my tablet

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" tablet as my "phablet" and it works quite well (with giffgaff) calls, texts and data.

I was with Three before giffgaff, and they (Three) did not allow me to use the SIM in my tablet, for calls and texts. So I ditched them and joined giffgaff.

Now I am not happy with the way giffgaff charge for roaming data, and Virgin mobile is an option, but would it work in my tablet?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I use the SIM in my tablet

Hi akis_tzortzis,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

If you look at our T&C's here you will see the following statement under the Virgin Media Mobile Acceptable Use Policy Pay Monthly section:-

"Your SIM is for use in the device applicable to your tariff. You cannot put your voice SIM into anything other than a mobile phone handset, for example a mobile broadband dongle, laptop or tablet".

We do offer tablet SIM's which includes just data. All tariff information can be found on our website here.

Hope this clears things up for you. Let me know if you have any further questions

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

apologies for hijacking this thread but the link provided by Rich_B shows 500MB for £5-

As a monthly bundle on a p.a.y.g SIM you can get 1GB of data for £5 by texting: BUY 1GBDATA to 789789 or is this no longer available?

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
akis_tzortzis
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I wonder. Did someone take their tape measure out and decided how large a phone "ought" to be before it is "allowed" on the network?

I have had cell phones since they first came out, those bricks you'd put in your bag with a long aerial sticking out. My previous phone was a 6.5" phablet, and before that a 5.5", and before that 4.5" and smaller - you need the screen size to be able to see what's happening especially as you're getting older.Phones are getting larger it is the trend not only because people's eyesight deteriorates but also because you need the screen space to fit all those apps. Leading manufacturers are well into the 6" phones now and Samsung include a SIM slot on many (if not all) of their "notes" and "tablets" and you can make and receive calls and texts, so there is no distinction between a "tablet" and a "phone" other than the external size, everything else is more or less the same, CPU, RAM, OS (Android most of the time)... My current phone (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 LTE) is 10.5" and I can read it much better than the phones I had before.

If anything those ridiculous terms are ageist : they are preventing me from using a screen that I like, a screen that I can read easily and conveniently.

Of course there are workarounds, the easiest is not to go with fascist companies such as Virgin (and Three), luckily there is some competition left in the UK... Another solution would be to get a smaller phone and then tether your tablet to it, if your fascist provider allows you to tether that is. Of course this is inconvenient as then you have to carry more devices and remember to charge and manage two devices instead of just one.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to disappoint but you wouldn't be able to tether from the phone to tablet. This is against the terms of the agreement.
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos