Menu
MikeR371
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can I downgrade to a SIM only deal?

My phone's just died, it's just gone out of contract. The one I want to upgrade to isn't available via Virgin online and it isn't in my local shop. So what I want to do is buy this phone outright (from Amazon) and change my tariff to a cheap SIM only deal. 

Can I do this? I tried to do it on my account but the option isn't there.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I downgrade to a SIM only deal?

MikeR371 wrote:

My phone's just died, it's just gone out of contract. The one I want to upgrade to isn't available via Virgin online and it isn't in my local shop. So what I want to do is buy this phone outright (from Amazon) and change my tariff to a cheap SIM only deal

Can I do this? I tried to do it on my account but the option isn't there.

Yeap you can do that. Switching between SIM+Phone and SIM only or SIM only to SIM+Phone s very do-able. Likewise, a customer can also switch from pay monthly to PAYG and vice versa.

That would be something you'd likely have to ring 789 about (or 0345 600 0789 from a non-VM phone.) As the options in the account page from what I am aware are limited to tariff changing, not major deal changing.

Edit: typo adjusted.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeR371,

yes you can.

From Virgin's T's & C'c:

"If you wish to change your Contract Allowance at the end of the Minimum Term then you can do so by contacting the Team"

Give them a call on 789 (free) from your mobile.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

MikeR371
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help that sounds good. My phone is completely dead and I don't have a landline, I'll have to give them a call tomorrow from work.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey MikeR371,

Thank you for taking the time out to write into the Community, I can se you've had some help already which is great to see Smiley Happy

I am sorry to know that the phone's decided to pack in, I would like to know if you've been able to change this to a Sim only deal now, you'll certainly be reaping the benefits from that in no time!

if you do find yourself wondering about anything, please let me know and take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Waterlow
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was in the same boat, so I purchased a network free phone and spoke to contract and negotiated a good deal on a sim only contract.

Waterlow

0 Kudos
MikeR371
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes I phoned customer services and sorted it out. 

I was a bit annoyed though that I had to have a credit check. I've had a Virgin contract for over 10 years, don't know why I needed a credit check to move to a cheaper pay monthly deal. This was the second one that Virgin had run in a week after they did it in the shop before telling me that they couldn't supply the phone I wanted.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeR371

Thanks for your reply - it's great to hear you've now got this sorted.

We do need to conduct a credit check at the point of sale when offering any new credit products (which can include contract upgrades). This forms part of our obligation to lend responsibly.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help out with though Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos