Menu
Merlin33
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Calls over Wifi or Wifi App?

Hi All,

I was with O2 for about 14 years before deciding to switch to Virgin, as Virgin seem to offer a better coverage due to being on the EE network (I can now get 3G or 4G almost everywhere I go - with O2 it was patchy), are much cheaper, flexible and offer better customer support.

However, I live in a little rural village and while I get a great signal outside of my house, I usually get no service or a very poor signal within my house. O2 had a calls-through-wifi app, which was handy. I notice that if you are directly with EE you can simply switch wifi calls on in the iPhone settings.

Does Virgin offer anything like this or have any plans to?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Calls over Wifi or Wifi App?

Hi Merlin33,

unfortunately Virgin Mobile does not offer this facility Smiley Sad

(Also no 4G with Virgin Mobile).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nope. They do have a wifi app that allows you to make calls which are then chargable to your Virgin landline.

EE have WiFi calling on some phones whilst 3 have an app and also allow Voice over 4G. (VOLTE)

The WiFi and VOLTE calls share a similar protocol, so I would only expect Virgin to take it up after they get 4G

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Merlin33,

unfortunately Virgin Mobile does not offer this facility Smiley Sad

(Also no 4G with Virgin Mobile).

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nope. They do have a wifi app that allows you to make calls which are then chargable to your Virgin landline.

EE have WiFi calling on some phones whilst 3 have an app and also allow Voice over 4G. (VOLTE)

The WiFi and VOLTE calls share a similar protocol, so I would only expect Virgin to take it up after they get 4G

Merlin33
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your quick reply. You're right... no 4G with Virgin at the moment. I still have an O2 phone for work and I was getting confused with the 4G on that.

Hopefully Virgin will go in the same direction as EE soon and either offer an app or the calls over wifi setting...

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the quick replies.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

enlli wrote:

Unfortunately Virgin ended the SmartCall app earlier this year:

http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/smartcall-is-closed.html

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

enlli said: "Nope. They do have a wifi app that allows you to make calls which are then chargable to your Virgin landline."

Smart call WAS good, but not that good, if the call was not a free call from your landline allowance, it made a standard mobile call using mobile signal.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, forgot even smartcall had ended.

It's what you get for spending the last 18 months on Three (Says he after just phoning the Bus Company over wifi Smiley Wink )

0 Kudos
AdrianM2012
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is this still true - I was told by a Virgin Mobile support agent today the they now support wifi calling on the iphone 6.

0 Kudos
a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Im sure that's not true, I sure don't have it on my iPhone 6s Plus! Hopefully it's coming soon as I get dire reception at home
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi AdrianM2012,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forum about calls over WiFi. We haven't received any news about this feature being made available, apologies that you were advised of this on WebChat.

If we do start providing calls over WiFi, we will definitely be posting about it here on the Forum, so make sure to check back with us. Also give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos