Menu
DrSpin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Calls from 9112 when I am overseas using up my credit - scam

I often work overseas, and even if my phone is off, my bill shows long incoming calls from '9112' which I obviously have never answered, which drains my credit. This is obviously some sort of scam - how do I stop this happening?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Calls from 9112 when I am overseas using up my credit - scam

I've no answer but I see this comes up on the EE forums from time to time. One guy says his account logged a call from this number when his SIM was not n a phone and he was not roaming.

Further digging seems to indicate it is the code for an incoming call charge when roaming.

If your voicemail is working and a call goes through to it but the caller hangs up, you may well be charged even if there is no notification. This would happen particularly if the phone was switched off so you have no way of knowing about the call.

0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've no answer but I see this comes up on the EE forums from time to time. One guy says his account logged a call from this number when his SIM was not n a phone and he was not roaming.

Further digging seems to indicate it is the code for an incoming call charge when roaming.

If your voicemail is working and a call goes through to it but the caller hangs up, you may well be charged even if there is no notification. This would happen particularly if the phone was switched off so you have no way of knowing about the call.

0 Kudos
DrSpin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this. My voicemail was supposed to be disabled, but it looks like it got reactivated. Shutting off roaming temporarily seems to stop it, but it isn't an ideal solution. I'll keep an eye on the bill to see if it stops.

It would be worth the helpdesk being aware of this - they didn't seem to know when I called them.

Thank you for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
DrSpin
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The previous solution worked thank you (disable voicemail)- but someone in Virgin Mobile keep re-enabling my voicemail, and I now been charged over £16 for calls which I didn't receive because my phone was switched off when I was abroad and it diverted to voicemail. 

Even worse is that the calls are all spam.

Does anyone else have this issue, I don't want voicemail, is there any way to stop Virgin Mobile continually re-enabling it?

The help pages claim that I have the option to dpo this on-line, but the option does not appear in my 'manage services' page.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
DrSpin
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Answering my own question,from the website.

If you Pay As You Go, set up voicemail diverts, so all your calls get sent to voicemail. Then you’ll only pay if you choose to listen to your messages.

If you Pay Monthly, remove any voicemail diverts. That’s because if someone calls you, and you’re outside the EU, first you’ll pay to receive the call, then you’ll pay the cost of diverting the call from the country you’re in to your voicemail box in the UK and finally you’ll pay a third time if you call your voicemail to listen to the message.

Unfortunately the Virgin Mobile helpdesk know none of this.....................

0 Kudos
parosser
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I too have had the same problem. I am on pay as you go and am currently overseas with the SIM card NOT in my phone. I just logged onto my account to check something out and noticed I had a zero balance. I reviewed the recent activity and there are four calls from 9112 that have all cost one pound. The description is "Roaming call received" - which is not true!

I'm not sure if more calls were made as I only had just over four pound on the account so maybe no more calls were registered as I didn't have enough credit.

I checked my voicemail and it was enabled. I have since disabled this just in case that helps. I have also disabled international roaming. Again, I'm not sure if this is going to help but worth a try. I'm not going to know if I have resolved the issue until I add more credit.

It would be good if someone from Virgin could explain the situation!

0 Kudos