Menu
JHMcgregor
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Call to 020 number Blocked by Virgin Mobile

Tried to call the IKEA Electrolux appliance repair line (phone number 020 3347 0044) and got a message that "calls to this number are blocked".  I contacted the Ikea store as I first thought there must be a problem with the number but they confirmed that they could ring it OK. 

When I contacted Virgin by phoning 789, they confirmed that their system blocked the call as it thought it was a premium rate number (it's not and I have set "no premium numbers" on my phone). The temporary fix they offered was to allow premium rate calls on my mobile and promise I won't be charged (ie it will use my inclusive landline minutes).

What I want to know is -

1) Why are they doing this to some 02 numbers - ALL 02 numbers should be recognised as normal numbers?

2) When is the fault with this particular number going to be fixed properly?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call to 020 number Blocked by Virgin Mobile

Hi JHMcgregor,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear you're unable to call IKEA Electrolux. I'll try my best to get to the bottom of this for you.

I've tried the number (I'm with Virgin Mobile too) and it's also blocked for me. When I call using a separate desk phone then I can reach it no problem. If I'm honest, I'm not sure why it's blocked (unless someone else knows).

I'm going to dig around a little to see if I can find someone who can explain to me why it has been blocked and whether or not we can do anything to unblock it.

Please wait for a further reply early next week.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi JHMcgregor,

I've had someone look into this for us and there are a few extra things I need in order to get this reported.

I'm going to send you a private message to discuss further. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
suburbiaboy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm also having the same problem. I've called 789 and the customer service rep doesn't know what to do.

Thanks,

Jamie

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Seeing this thread is 10 months old looks like it never got sorted. Must be another 'we are working on it'.

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I can't remember whether Virgin Mobile is a full-MVNO on EE, or a hosted-MVNO. The difference being, some just use the hosts' radio network but provide their own core network and switching, others just resell another operator's service under their own brand.

I've just dialled 02033470044 from my EE mobile no problem - so your correct course of action would be to report this to your provider, i.e. Virgin, and get them to escalate it. If the rep doesn't know what to do, perhaps you could politely suggest to them that they go and find out? Offer to wait on the line while they do it ;-)

suburbiaboy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Good point japitts I had forgotten about that.

I reported this to Virgin yesterday, the chap went off to see what he could do and came back without a solution. He said he'll raise an issue but who knows. Thought it would be worth raising here too see if we can actually get a resolution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
suburbiaboy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Also worth noting (for anyone else who stumbles on this): I spoke to Ikea (who's number this is) and they didn't have an alternative number for this specific office so you'll have to find another phone if you want to call this number. Which is pretty silly. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's most likely that this is a core-network datafill issue, where the routing data for that number range is missing. Diagnostics that would help..

1: Is the affected phone in 2G/3G/4G mode? It's possible that different technology layers route differently on the core.

2: Try an EE-mobile (same theory as above) in the same location - eliminating whether VM's traffic is handled by EE's core or not.

3: Different location... switches will cover a given geographical area.

None of these will solve it, but the answers to all - in the hands of competent telco engineers - will help ID the offending switch. Getting the reports to said telco engineers, I agree will be the tricky bit.

It doesn't help the immediate issue, but this is one reason why I am always reluctant to use MVNOs - you're adding an extra support layer to the equation. Far better to be able to deal with the network operator directly.

suburbiaboy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'll try these if possible. Interested to see if we can prompt Virgin into action!

0 Kudos