Menu
ANGELAMM
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

CANT CONNECT TO ANY NETWORK ABROAD

Hi My dad's in spain at the moment and his phone will not connect to any network.  This is the second time he has been away and has had no service, even after going in to the shop on his return last time.

He cannot make or receive calls or texts.  when I have tried to ring him from uk, the message is: "sorry the mobile you are calling is not available at the moment but if you like we can send a free text informing you have called when the phone becomes available again"  well a the moment, he wont get them till he comes home again!

We have done all the checks.. switched phone off and on again.  On his account, we have turned roaming off and on again, and international call barring  on and off again to make sure they have definitely been activated, then waited 24 hours after this just in case it needed the time to reset.

He has had a look at the networks available on the APN section.  selected as in the help instructions, is the Virgin media one, others from spain show also but if try to manually select one, its says not available.

He has even paid for a travel data pass and with roaming on and data on it still wont connect.

He can access wifi though.

Was wondering if the APN   option "reset to default" would help?  we dont want to make things worse and lose wifi too!

The virgin chat line is continually busy, so thought you guys may be able to advise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(by the way its a Samsung S3 mini phone if that info is needed)

Thanks

Angela

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: CANT CONNECT TO ANY NETWORK ABROAD

You checked that he has roaming switched on on his phone as well?

0 Kudos
ANGELAMM
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi we have got his phone working now.

This was what we had to do for anyone else in similar situation - worth a try!

went on to the account made sure roaming was on by actually switching it off and on again.

also the same with the international call barring switch on and off again.

waited 24 hours! (you dont have to wait this long to try though)!

pulled the battery out while the phone was on (as suggested somewhere here on the virgin community) and then replaced it.

went to MOBILE NETWORKS - ACCESS POINT NAMES -  and selected the option  RESET TO DEFAULT  ( which is not in view until you press the left hand menu button on samsung phones)

(was still only the Virgin Media apn that came up - with the green button to show selected)

then  pressed  NETWORK OPERATORS  which started a search

a list of about 4 came up ORANGE - VODAFONE ES - MOVIE STAR AND YOIGO. (he is in spain, these will be different for other places)

He clicked on each of them in turn and on two it says he's registered on the network - think it was  orange and moviestar,

then his messages started to come through to him.

I have telephoned him and he is receiving calls too!

Thanks for your help Tsar, and all the other community members who have added info on this website - between you all  we have a phone that works as it should!

Angela

0 Kudos
Debrasunrise
Just joined
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I am currently in Peru and i also encounter the same issue, cannot connect to any network. I have followed the instructions given by Angela but my phone does not pick any network still !. When i press the suggested mobile networks, i got the following message "your sim card does not allow connections to this network".

the chat service is always busy so i do hope someone from the community can help!.

thank you in advance

Deborah

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Debrasunrise wrote:

Hi,

I am currently in Peru and i also encounter the same issue, cannot connect to any network. I have followed the instructions given by Angela but my phone does not pick any network still !. When i press the suggested mobile networks, i got the following message "your sim card does not allow connections to this network".

Hi Deborah,

Peru is not listed for "pay as you go" customers but a partner network should be available for "pay monthly" customers.

You have checked that roaming is "ON" in your account?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
ANGELAMM
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI Debra

my dad was getting those exact same messages before he pulled out the battery. so maybe it will connect within a few more hours.

I'm away from the computer now but i will see if i can do any research for you later on. 

good luck in the meantime

Angela

0 Kudos