Menu
unfinishedtea
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Buying new SIM and keeping number - what happens to old SIM

I'm in the process of buying a new SIM on the 30 day contract as it is much cheaper than PAYG but my wonderful husband has just topped up a whole £20 (the contract is only £10). I selected the option to use the same number, but now I'm wondering what happens to that £20 when the new SIM shows up? Ideally it won't take over until it's activated. Also, does the monthly tariff begin from when I order or when/if I activate? The plan was to save money...

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Buying new SIM and keeping number - what happens to old SIM

Hi unfinishedtea,

as well as your number, your existing pay as you go balance will also be transferred to your new SIM so you won't lose your top up.

With regard to the second part of your question, I'm not sure but I understand that it is usual to be billed for your 1st month within the 1st week of your contract so would assume that it begins shortly after order.

Post back and let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi unfinishedtea,

as well as your number, your existing pay as you go balance will also be transferred to your new SIM so you won't lose your top up.

With regard to the second part of your question, I'm not sure but I understand that it is usual to be billed for your 1st month within the 1st week of your contract so would assume that it begins shortly after order.

Post back and let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The usual procedure is to transfer the balance. Phone CS on 789 if you are in doubt.

unfinishedtea
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both! That pretty much solves it all (the second part was just if I'd be paying for the new SIM while using up the old one but as the credit just transfers we're all set).

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just one this for a friend, it took a while but the balance showed up on the 2nd bill as a credit, the first bill was generated before the credit was made, all nice and simple