Menu
pl0nk0r
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broken screen, ridiculous charge?!

Called Virgin yesterday, Monday 11th July to replace or repair my HTC One M9 as the screens been damaged (cracked and no display) to be told by the first gent that the repair would be free as it's within it's one year warranty, apparently HTC have a default two year warranty.

The first gent then put me through to another guy at the repair center who proceeded to tell me this was not the case and the repair would cost £179?!

Surely as the phone is still within the one year warranty this is nonsense?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broken screen, ridiculous charge?!

Problem here though is you say accidental, they will say misuse...
May not be an idea to get a quote from a local repair shop to compare
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will need to get the screen replaced by an HTC authorised repairer to maintain the warranty. If your're not bothered then a third party repairer should be cheaper. So I would try HTC directly and see what they would charge? Or try a Carphone Warehouse shop?

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Missuse isn't covered by Warrenty. If you have cracked the screen you will have to pay
0 Kudos
pl0nk0r
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

misuse?! what In my initial post lead you to believe I'd misused the phone?!  misuse would suggest that I went out of my way to damage the phone, obviously that's not the case.  Accidents happen and this was accidental damage not misuse.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Problem here though is you say accidental, they will say misuse...
May not be an idea to get a quote from a local repair shop to compare
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will need to get the screen replaced by an HTC authorised repairer to maintain the warranty. If your're not bothered then a third party repairer should be cheaper. So I would try HTC directly and see what they would charge? Or try a Carphone Warehouse shop?

0 Kudos
pl0nk0r
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've had a look online, and the average price is around £70 which includes free postage etc.

I don't see the point in ensuring the warranty is intact if this sort of accidental damage isn't covered.  

So basically Virgin want another £100 to provide a warranty that's HTC certified that is of no use in this scenario.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Warranty is to cover faulty goods supplied.

Accidental damage is a matter for insurance which is a totally different thing - unfortunately even if insurance is held (and don't forget to check any household cover) the excess charge can sometimes be prohibitive.

If the damage is restricted to a cracked screen might be worth checking out DIY replacement on ebay etc although I think a bit of tech skill is still a bit handy.

A chat with a reputable local repair shop might also be worthwhile.

Good luck with it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pl0nk0r wrote:

misuse?! what In my initial post lead you to believe I'd misused the phone?!  misuse would suggest that I went out of my way to damage the phone, obviously that's not the case.  Accidents happen and this was accidental damage not misuse.

A cracked screen isn't covered by warranty unless it was caused by an inherent fault such as an expanding battery. "Misuse" vs "Accident" is just semantics. You've still got a screen that's cracked as a result of something you've done.

In the very unlikely event (but not impossible) that the screen has broken as a result of some inherent failure, a consumer should pre-empt the battle with their mobile provider by getting an independent assessment before sending it in for repair. The balance of probabilities does not work in the consumer's favour when it comes to broken screens.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If only Warrenties worked like that nobody would buy insurance
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure they would. Insurance covers the 99.9% of screen failures that are caused by sitting on the phone while it's in your back pocket or dropping the phone.

In fact, if you felt that the phone's screen cracked because of an inherent fault, the insurance would not pay out because it's a warranty claim.

0 Kudos