Menu
jennie-c
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broken Samsung screen- need to save photos

Hi there,

My Samsung S6 32gb phone screen is blank, possibly a broken lcd, and needs to be sent to virgin mobile to be fixed. The phone still switches on and makes ringing and buzzing sounds, it is literally just the screen which is black which is the problem.

I have some photos on the phone I want to save if possible, but can't seem to be able to access them. I have tried plugging my phone into my laptop via the usb cable, but it says my phone is empty, which I think is due to the fact my phone is probably on the lock screen. I have looked online for ways to do it,but they all want to charge me money! Is there any way I can get at these photos?

Many thanks in advance for your help, Jennie

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broken Samsung screen- need to save photos

for an android phone with a google account on it, all photos should have been backed up by google automatically. [ unless you disabled that option ]

check your google account online from a different device & see if they are there.  I think they go to your google drive but rummage through all things google. they used to also be sort-able in Google Picasso which I never go the hang of, but not sure of google still promote that.

the USb problem with android 6 <-> PC s that you have to be able to select the use USB for data transfer option - not easy wth a dead screen!. the default is use USB only for charging which is no help to you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi jennie-c,

are you sure that they weren't already backed up to Google: https://photos.google.com/

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

for an android phone with a google account on it, all photos should have been backed up by google automatically. [ unless you disabled that option ]

check your google account online from a different device & see if they are there.  I think they go to your google drive but rummage through all things google. they used to also be sort-able in Google Picasso which I never go the hang of, but not sure of google still promote that.

the USb problem with android 6 <-> PC s that you have to be able to select the use USB for data transfer option - not easy wth a dead screen!. the default is use USB only for charging which is no help to you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi jennie-c,

are you sure that they weren't already backed up to Google: https://photos.google.com/

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
jennie-c
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, the photos don't appear to be on google. I have looked and on google it is asking me to add some photos as there are none there  Smiley Surprised(  I don't remember switching off that function on my phone, but maybe I did if there are no pics saved on google  Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

nothing in google drive ?

i know that all my wife's photos from her nexus phone upload. I do remember setting it to upload only when on wifi, not on 3G. I thought the default was ON

look though this just in case you are not looking in the right place

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Back up photos & videos

Save your device's photos and videos to your Google Photos library. This can include photos you take with your device's camera and photos saved on your phone.

What is back up & sync?
  • A backup service: Your device's photos and videos will save to your Google Photos library, including ones you capture in the future.
  • Privately stored: Photos and videos backed up from your device are private unless you decide to share them.
  • Syncing: Changes you make to photos and videos, like deleting or editing, will be reflected across all of your synced devices.
Turn back up & sync on or off
  1. Open the Google Photos app on your mobile device .
  2. At the top left, tap Menu .
  3. Select SettingsBack up & sync.
  4. At the top, switch it on or off.

Things to keep in mind about this setting:

• Changing backup settings will affect all apps that use Back up & sync, such as Google Drive.
  • If you have Back up & sync on, deleting the Google Photos app from your device will not turn it off. To turn off Back up & sync, follow the instructions above.

also read this - at least you can turn the feature on with tyour replacement phone !

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid wrote:

Hi jennie-c,

like he says - they should be there unless you turned OFF the backup and sync feature, I could not remember that URL so glad someone else knew it. i usually naviate from the top right grid of dots on my (signed in) google home page, that shows me all the google apps ( including the photos one )

0 Kudos
sdyu
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The android device data transfer was a long question, i think it's very convenient to use a mobile phone file transfer and backup app to help. no matter your screen is broken or locked.

0 Kudos
mrje
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As far as i know, an android data backup app could transfer photos from your phone to computer in few simple steps, i know an app works great, but you need to have enabled usb debugging on your phone.

0 Kudos
Shehab
Settling in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you enable USB debugging?

0 Kudos