Menu
FoxtrotOscar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bought 250MB travel pass but cannot use it

Hello

My wife and I are currently in France trying to use UK Virgin mobile phones, however neither of us can use our phones properly for different reasons. 

PROBLEM 1

I can call and make texts but cannot use mobile data. I checked that roaming was enabled on my account before I left the UK, which it was. I've tried most things I've read on this forum, including manually selecting networks and pulling the battery out with the phone on, none of which have worked so far. Though we were previously with O2 and never had to jump through hoops to get our phones working abroad; they just worked. 

One clue there may be is that my phone (Note 2) was giving me a warning triangle that said 'data roaming is disabled because you left your home network with it switched off'. If the Virgin mobile account management site was telling the truth, then no I didn't, because it definitely told me it was switched on. This message has now disappeared, but I still can't use data.

Please can someone arrange for my data to be enabled or refund the ineffectual £20 travel pass.  

PROBLEM 2

My wife can receive calls and texts but cannot make them. I don't think we enabled her roaming before we left the UK, so this should be a fairly simple one: please can someone enable her roaming?

Happy to provide any further details. I don't fancy calling the number suggested from France if previous call waiting times are anything to go by. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bought 250MB travel pass but cannot use it

Hi FoxtrotOscar,

Thanks for posting to let us know your having issues with data roaming, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Due to the the nature of this issue we would be required to clear security with you, and we are currently unable to do so via the forum's, we can't help as much as we would like to sometimes.

Just give our customer service team a call on 789 from a Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other line and they'll be more than happy to help.

Best wishes,

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
FoxtrotOscar
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Adam. I am led to believe that the call you suggest would cost me £0.16 per minute from France. If this is the case, then I'm not prepared to make this call owing to previous waiting times. I'll wait until I get back to the UK and call for a travel pass refund, and use local Wifi in the mean time instead. Shame as Google on the move is always handy as a tourist. 

Understand that there's only so much you  can do on a forum and appreciate your help, but the Virgin mobile network seems severely lacking in roaming capability compared to its competitors. This is probably a misguided opinion, but it's the only evidence I have at the moment. I read the instructions and did everything asked of me before I went, I even have the roaming logos visible on my phone, I've also tried manually adding APNs, but no joy. I'm very confident that my phone settings are correct, having spent hours on Google checking them. 

My guess is that a simple call would probably fix this, but a) I'm not prepared to take the chance for an expensive phone call with 15 mins waiting time to get through to someone that will probably tell me to take my battery out, and b) I frankly shouldn't have to bother. 

0 Kudos
jobato
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

This is exactly the same problem I am currently having in Croatia! Have tried to call several times but keep getting disconnected (...busy, please call later... +447953967967... blah blah blah! ).

Did you find a resolution?

So frustrating and have wasted far too much 'vacation time' trying to sort this technical problem.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jobato,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I sincerely apologise you're not able to use mobile data whilst in Croatia.

I've replied to your post here.

To avoid confusion please respond to me on that one.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Braincapers
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same problem in Spain. I Don't understand why we have to make an international call to sort it out.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Braincapers,

Thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear you're not able to use your EU data pass in Spain. I appreciate this is a big problem for you.

I've replied to your post here.

To avoid confusion please respond to me on that one.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
FoxtrotOscar
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well with two days of my holiday remaining and 250MB of data waiting to be used, I finally have a resolution thanks to the social media team.

I contacted VM via Twitter (the main VM handle...couldn't find one specific to the mobile division) about a week ago. Today I received an email from the social media team saying they'd 'changed some settings in my account' (I've replied asking them what they actually means, as I did everything required before I left the UK) and could I please reboot and try again. They said it might take 24hrs but I rebooted and am sending this from France using my data travel pass. 

Not sure why the forum team can't just check people's account for them once security checks are passed via forum private message, or email, or whatever. 

Anyway, with no thanks to the admin of this forum, the problem has been solved to the extent that I can finally use mobile data on holiday. The problem that hasn't been solved though, is why Virgin's international roaming is such an embarrassing mess. 

I'll be serving notice and writing a snotty letter to the CEO as soon as I touch down on British soil. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi FoxtrotOscar,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm really pleased to hear you're now able to use your EU travel pass.

I apologise once again for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
mebby
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This has been going on with my phone for about two years. I go abroad and get no coverage - when I return I ring Virgin mobile and they tell me all is fine and next time i will get coverage .... next time it is the same with again no coverage. In March I used my husband's working phone to call Virgin mobile which took a long time of waiting and they realised that in fact I was not getting any coverage - they fiddled around UK end and eventually I was able to get full coverage. I went abroad again two weeks ago and of course was unable to get coverage as usual. I again called with my husband's phone and eventually it was sorted. However on returning I have found out that although I purchased a travel pass all my UK data was used instead and I was charged extra for this although my travel pass was not used at all. Virgin mobile technology abroad seems to be way behind other competitors and I am looking forward to changing supplier as soon as possible.

0 Kudos