Menu
Sooty
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Both my son and I are on Virgin contracts but when he texts me he is being charged.

Both my son and I are on Virgin mobile contracts. When he texts me he is being charged 15p and in 'Recent Usage' it shows as a Premium Text. All other texts from his mobile go through free i.e. 'in contract'. The only difference I can see is that from his phone my number appears as 44788####### i.e. ordinary number but prefixed with 44. Other texts he sends to do not have this. Looking at his phone I cannot see the '44' as part of the number he's sending to.

Any suggestions welcome.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Both my son and I are on Virgin contracts but when he texts me he is being charged.

44 is the country code - it shouldn't make any difference, but get him to replace the 44 with 0 (zero) and see if the problem goes away.

If it's +44 that needs to be changed to zero, too.

My wife is in my phone as +447### ###### and it doesn't make any difference to other contacts who are in as 07### ######. If the 44 is the root of the problem, it might be that it doesn't have the + in front of it.

Let us know how you get on

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Both my son and I are on Virgin contracts but when he texts me he is being charged.

Hi Sooty,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear your son is being charged 15p a time to text you.

I can see Gorf has provided you with some useful information here. I just wanted to check the latest on this.

What handset does your son have?

Has he changed the number to 07?

Has this made any difference?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Sooty
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice. We checked his contacts and it already appeared as  07 rather than 447######## but we deleted it and re typed it. I'm away at the moment but will know when I get back if we have cracked the problem and will let you know.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Okay Sooty, thanks for keeping us updated.

I'll patiently await your update.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Sooty
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Still struggling with this. When my son texts me using ordinary texting i.e. not iMessage he is charged 15p. We have tried deleting me as a contact and retyping in the details as 07### ######  but it still appears in the recent calls list on the recent usage list in Account Hub as 447### ###### Premium Text  charged at 15p.

Not sure what to do.

His phone is iPhone 5c mine is iPhone 4s.

Both accounts are Virgin pay monthly and have unlimited texts to other Virgin phones.

None of his other texts are charged or appear with the 44 prefix.

Any help welcome.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sooty

Thanks for keeping me updated.

I'm disappointed to hear this problem is still ongoing. I appreciate you want answers to this to avoid the bill increasing further.

I'd definitely recommend contacting the team on 789 from a Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone. They'll be able to investigate things further for you.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos