Menu
mickflynn50
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Bluetooth tethering

My car has internet accessible by Bluetooth tethering. Can I use Virgin Mobile for this? The information provided on here is a bit confusing. I have been with VM since before January 2013 but my phone does not have Bluetooth tethering so if I buy a phone with it, does that mean I have a new contract and exclude me from using Bluetooth tethering on VM network?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bluetooth tethering

Hi Mickyflynn50,

Thanks for your query Smiley Happy

Tethering in any form is not permitted on the Virgin Mobile network.

Sorry about that.

If you have any other queries, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

mickflynn50 wrote:

My car has internet accessible by Bluetooth tethering. Can I use Virgin Mobile for this? The information provided on here is a bit confusing. I have been with VM since before January 2013 but my phone does not have Bluetooth tethering so if I buy a phone with it, does that mean I have a new contract and exclude me from using Bluetooth tethering on VM network?

Mat is wrong - according to the acceptable use policy documented here, tethering is allowed for customers who are still on a contract that has been in-situ since before 24 Jan 2013. Note that it applies to your current agreement. You might have been a customer since before that date, but if you have changed your tariff since then, you can't tether.

0 Kudos
spotify95
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mat_H wrote:

Hi Mickyflynn50,

Thanks for your query Smiley Happy

Tethering in any form is not permitted on the Virgin Mobile network.

Sorry about that.

If you have any other queries, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mat

In which case you may need to give the OP their PAC Code...

I've tethered on Virgin Media no problems at all. Have done for the last year. 

0 Kudos
FrankC52
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I also use tethering to connect my iPad. I have done this from day one as I was told by the sales person it was ok within my fair use policy. This was also confirmed by the UK Tech Support last week.

At the moment I can't use tethering as the data connection has been down for the last few weeks Letchworth area.... 

Totally confused with above post. If true another good reason to move over to 3 network 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

spotify95 wrote

I've tethered on Virgin Media no problems at all. Have done for the last year. 

Mat did say it's "not permitted"  rather than "not possible". The fact that you've got away with it does not render his sentence inaccurate - at least not semantically. Tethering is permitted for those users still on tariffs set up in 2012 or earlier. I seem to recall 23 Jan 2013 is the magic date...

0 Kudos
spotify95
Superfast
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't know when I took my contract out but the good news is that I can tether. Why can't Virgin provide tethering, even as an add on? I'd be happy to pay an add on for tethering - because some of my devices are Wifi only and thus require a wifi connection!

Also I'd be happy to pay to have the 3.5GB limit removed on unlimited data plans.

0 Kudos
mickflynn50
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry its been so long since I came back on this but I find it odd that I can buy access to mobile internet but not use it how I want to. I have 5GB of data in my package but if I don't use it on my mobile, it is not used at all.

Can someone explain to me why VM do not allow me to use my data allowance by using Bluetooth tethering to my car?

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

because if you ask for tethering or mobile broadband there supposed to get you to buy home cable broadband instead.

they make very little to nothing on mobile, they dont care they want the cable sale.

i worked in a store along time ago so i know

0 Kudos
mickflynn50
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But I already have home broadband and I want to use tethering in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos