Menu
syorksdeano
Joining in
Message 1 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Blackberry refuses to connect to 4G

I've got a Blackberry Z10 which just refuses to connect to 4G on Virgin.

Every other network shows a 4G connection and my sim card will even connect to 4G in another 4G handset.

So can anyone think or know why this is happening?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blackberry refuses to connect to 4G

Hi syorksdeano

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with 4G on the Blackberry Z10 handset.

Is your handset setup to use the 4G part of the network? You can check using the following steps:

• From your main screen, slide your finger down from the top to display the Settings icon.
  • Access the Settings and select Network Connections.
  • From the menu that pops up select Mobile Network, then you should see the option for Network Mode.
  • For a 4G connection it will need to be set to either 4G & 3G & 2G or otherwise 4G & 3G.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

GRC
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Did this get resolved?  I have the same issue.  Just upgraded to 4G 30 day rolling SIM only tariff and having problems setting phone to 4G.  Been on phone for ages to VM without success, except confirming the SIMs are 4G and seem to work in an iPhone (no actual 4G signal in our house but LTE setting saved).

We have 2 Z10s and 1 Leap.  All having same issue.  Select anything with "4G" in it in the Network Mode in settings and it simply revers to the "non-4G" equiv.  So, 3G&4G becomes 3G; 2G&3G&4G becomes 2G&3G etc.

My only guess is that one needs to be actually receiving a 4G signal to save the setting but that would be odd.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Hi GRG,

You mention seeing 'LTE' on an iPhone that the SIM cards were inserted into. If that displayed and achieved a data connection then your 4G connection was operating correctly at the time.

Some iPhones may require a carrier settings update (I have seen this happen on a colleagues handset) that will then display 4G instead of LTE, but there should be no difference in coverage or connection speed.

I am curious to know if you have had similar issues with other network's SIM cards that are 4G capable?

Regards

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
GRC
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Liam,

The problem is with the Blackberry, not the iPhone. That was only used to test the SIM.  I am hoping that it is a signal issue and that when I am in a 4G area the option can be chosen on the BB - but that seems odd.  Why would one need to be in a 4G reception area to set the phone to receive 4G when the SIM is supposedly enabled?

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 86
Flag for a moderator

OK, for what it's worth.

I have a blackberry Z10, and it works in 4G on my '3' sim, no problem. Display shows 4G as signal, and works a treat.

Swap it for a Virgin 4G sim...same problem as you, yet the '3' 4g sim is great?

Don't think it's the Blackberry, to be honest. think it's more like something to do with the VM setting or their sim card?

My Z10 will connect with 4G on my '3' sim, and literally just tried it on my works O2 sim, and it's fine on 4G there to, yet the VM 4G will not pick up 4G at all.

seriously think it's a VM problem here, as the Z10 is 4G compatible...I have mine running on '3' right now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kildrum
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Hi, similar problem here. Has anyone resolved this or have a solution. Sim card works fine in other phones but not in my BB passport or Z30.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Hi kildrum, syorksdeano and HughJarsse,

Thanks again for all posting regarding your experience.

I am currently looking into issues where Blackberry 10 devices are not connecting to our 4G network.

At the moment we do not know why this is happening but I will be in contact with those affected in the coming days to collect as much information as we can.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
GRC
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Any news on this issue?

G371
Tuning in
Message 10 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Yes an update would be good, because if there is never going to be 4g available for blackberry 10 devices, Three are doing 2gb 4g sim for £10 at the moment.

0 Kudos