Menu
kildrum
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Blackberry Priv and 4g

Hi, anyone know if VM's 4g works with the android Blackberry Priv. Currently my BlackBerry passport only receives 3g (ongoing saga with VM) but I am reluctant to buy a PRIV to suffer the same issues. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blackberry Priv and 4g

Hi kildrum,

Thanks for your post on the Community Forum. As you may have seen on other Forum posts, there is a current issue with Blackberry 10 OS connecting to 4G that our technicians are working with Blackberry to resolve. 

As the Blackberry Priv runs an Android OS, technically, it should be able to connect to our 4G service. I've asked our Mobile Techs for confirmation on this. I'll get back to you as soon as I have a definite answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kildrum,

I've received an update on your query. If your device is running an Android OS, then it will connect to 4G. The current problem that our technicians are working on is that Blackberry services will not connect to 4G.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

kildrum
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Teri
very much appreciated
A.
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Terri_P wrote:

Hi kildrum,

I've received an update on your query. If your device is running an Android OS, then it will connect to 4G. The current problem that our technicians are working on is that Blackberry services will not connect to 4G.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Terri, Think you need to rephrase that remark.. Blackberry OS 10 WILL run 4G services, it just wont run VIRGIN'S 4G.

Other posters have also mentioned that their OS 10 Blackberry's happily run 4G from your competitors, (I currently have a Z10 running 4G on the '3' network with no problems, also on EE  as well!!)

This is basically a VM problem, rather than Blackberry.. considering your 'technicians' have supposed to have been working on this for 'a while' now, yrt they are no nearer sorting it than they were when the problem was first raised!! Obviously not very technical staff!!

One of the reasons I moved from VM...'non technical' technicians, taking forever to 'solve' problems..Surely, ask EE? their network runs 4G OK, you use their network, surely it's not rocket science to compare settings for 4G signal, is it??

0 Kudos
RonnieStanley
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Late reply but may help someone else. As a Priv owner using VM sim, can confirm that 4G works.
Same SIM doesn't receive 4G on Passport or Leap which both run on BB10.
0 Kudos
S_Linn
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not yet a Priv user, but as someone who *really* prefers a physical keyboard, I've been giving it serious consideration. And I'm content with Virgin as a carrier, so I haven't been clear as to whether a Priv phone would function on the network. I've seen some offered that are unlocked; does that make a difference? Any advice appreciated - thanks!

0 Kudos
kildrum
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have been using a unlocked Priv with a virgin 4g sim for a while now. So far so good. Miss my Passport but the PRIV works well. Currently runs with Android 6 Marshmallow, unsure if it will get an upgrade to 7 Nougat.
0 Kudos