Menu
gdg
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Beware: VM Sneakily doubling your tariff price without warning

Beware of Virgin mobile doubling the cost of your tariff and not telling you!

I've been with Virgin a long time on a pay monthly contract.  Being perfectly happy with my handset, I switched around a year ago to a SIM free deal.

For £6 a month I get 250 mins talk (which I never fully use), unlimited texts, and 1Gb data, which I often go over.  They charge £1 per day for data-use once I've gone over the limit.  Though I sometimes go 7 or 8 days over, at a cost of £7-£8, this still only makes my bill £13 - £14 which is reasonable for what I get.

But last month I got a bill for £24, which couldn't possibly be right, so I phoned to complain and got a foreign call centre. 

The woman said they had now decided they would charge £2 per day for going over the data allowance.  I told her that was not acceptable, that was not the contract I had agreed to, I had not been informed of any change, and as a regular over-user of data this was practically doubling the cost of my tariff.  

She apologised for the fact that I hadn't been told of the change, and credited the £7 overcharge.  She promised that I would get a call back from someone within 24 hours to discuss a change to the tariff, (as I had explained that a £2 was not acceptable, and I would be better moving to a new provider unless they could sort a better deal).

I never received any call back

Today I've been emailed a new bill, this time overcharging me by £8 (i.e.  8 days @ £2, instead of £8 days @ £1 as contracted).

I phoned again.  A rude woman said that last month's credit was just a "one-off" and she wouldn't be crediting the overcharge again.  I explained that this month was the exact same situation as last month, and needed the exact same remedy.  She said she wouldn't do that, and cut me off.

I rang again, and spoke to a man.  I went through the same story.  He apparently has put forward my request for a credit and has again promised someone will call back in 24 hours to sort out the overcharging tariff.    I'm not holding my breath.

Disgraceful customer service.   I suspect I will be moving away from Virgin Mobile in future. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beware: VM Sneakily doubling your tariff price without warning

Hi gdj,

there was plenty of warning on their website.

For other price increases see here: http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/mobile-tariffs/changes.html

Unfortunately though I agree with you. Virgin could have made more of an effort to make its customers aware, especially of the 100% price increase for out of tariff data use from 1st July Smiley Sad

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

gdg
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A warning on their website of the massive price hike would have been adequate IF they had sent me a letter, email, phonecall, text, carrier pigeon, or anything to  advise me to look on their website for price rises.

But No!  They did nothing to advise me that they were sneakily doubling the price.  Hence I knew nothing about it.

And even after last months phone call (where they admitted to not notifying me, and agreed to a credit) they still haven't sent anything to notify me!

They were supposed to call me back within 24 hours to discuss....but they didn't do this either.

They have just carried on and repeated the same overcharge.  So I need the same credit.

Hopefully they will call back as promised today.    The solution is simple:-

1.  They can either tell me that the price is doubling to £2 a day, in which case I will leave Virgin for  a new provider or

2.  They can offer me a suitable new deal.

But just putting me through to a foreign call centre who are just rude, and ignore the problem, before sending yet another overcharged bill, solves nothing.

0 Kudos
gdg
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hands up all those who thought Virgin Mobile would stick to their promise to call back in 24 hours?

You lose!

0 Kudos
gdg
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, I've had to ring them.    A foreign call centre again.

He says the reason no one called me back in 24 hours is because my complaint has been escalated to another department, and they haven't got a resolution yet.

I asked why they didn't call back within 24 hours as promised to tell me that "it's been escalated to another department who haven't got a resolution yet"..... he doesn't know why they didn't call back  "but someone will be reprimanded"....hilarious!

He says he can't do anything because it's been escalated to a department "higher and above" his department....he was about to say they'd call me back in 24 hours, but I've asked to be transferred to this "higher and above" department.   He really doesn't know what to do. 

This is the most useless customer service ever.   

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi gdg,

I appreciate that this is not an ideal situation in which you are understandably unhappy with the situation.

Checking into this for you, I can see that you spoke with a manager yesterday regarding your complaint.

If  have not come to a satisfactory resolution within 8 weeks of your complaint, there are other options you can take, as outlined in our Code of Practice (please see Contact Us: www.virginmedia.com/contactus > Something else > Making a complaint > Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice for these details).

I apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
gdg
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to Terri_P for bringing a touch of comedy to my thread.

8 weeks?  8 whole weeks?  Two months?    To sort out a £7 overcharge credit?

You really have given me a laugh.  

Does make you wonder why the clueless foreign call centre promise to call you back within 24 hours, when they know it takes 8 WEEKS to resolve a simple complaint of a  £7 credit.    However it does explain why they never call back in 24 hours.

I'm guessing any credit over £5 has to be signed off by Richard Branson personally as he sips cocktails on his tropical island bought with the ill-gotten gains of ripping off customers £7or £8 a go.

Thanks for your hilarious reply Terri_P

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, Richard isn't involved  - whole lot sold to Liberty Global who now seem to be shafting some of the staff as well as the cutsomers

0 Kudos
gdg
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank goodness for that.   Would be a terrible shame for Richard Branson to be involved with this current sorry bunch.    

So it's been bought out by some money-grabbing incompetents?    That explains a lot.

0 Kudos