Menu
DJC3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Being charged for not using internet

I only have a tariff allowing just 500mb internet usage but do not usually use this only my mobile. 

On June 12th I got a text saying I'd used 95% of my Mobile Web for the month. From this point on I did not once use the internet on the mobile.

My bill for June charged me £1 per day for the rest of the month, an extra £17. The bill refers to internet usage almost 20 times a day, including all through the night, which clearly I am not using. I have no extra apps on the mobile. Why does my bill indicate internet usage when I am not even using Google/Chrome etc?  Also, after exceeding the limit,  why am I "fined" £1 per day when not using the internet?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Being charged for not using internet

A smartphone will use some data all the time to function correctly, the only way to stop any usage will involve you turning mobile data off in the phones settings.

It sounds like a lot is being used by your phone for updates ect. this can be cut down by different settings on the phone.

£1 a day is the standard price for unlimited data each day, from tomorrow it's going up to £2 a day - so get it sorted soon :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi DJC3,

with a "smartphone" many Apps and the OS regularly check for updates & use background data by themselves unless you disable (turn off) mobile data on the device itself.

Even if you have WIFI available at home, when in standby your phone's WIFI connection may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure.

You are not being "fined" £1 per day.
£1 is the daily charge for mobile data usage outside your allowance. - To avoid this TURN OFF mobile data on your device.

From 1st July this charge is to double to £2 per day Smiley Frustrated :
http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/mobile-tariffs/july-ntc.html

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A smartphone will use some data all the time to function correctly, the only way to stop any usage will involve you turning mobile data off in the phones settings.

It sounds like a lot is being used by your phone for updates ect. this can be cut down by different settings on the phone.

£1 a day is the standard price for unlimited data each day, from tomorrow it's going up to £2 a day - so get it sorted soon :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi DJC3,

with a "smartphone" many Apps and the OS regularly check for updates & use background data by themselves unless you disable (turn off) mobile data on the device itself.

Even if you have WIFI available at home, when in standby your phone's WIFI connection may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure.

You are not being "fined" £1 per day.
£1 is the daily charge for mobile data usage outside your allowance. - To avoid this TURN OFF mobile data on your device.

From 1st July this charge is to double to £2 per day Smiley Frustrated :
http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/mobile-tariffs/july-ntc.html

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

DJC3
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks teabag for the advice - and the warning!
0 Kudos
DJC3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks AlexKid for the advice - and the warning!
0 Kudos